Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I'm on the market for a Hobie Outback ... before I purchase, wanted to see what you all Outback owners are using to transport (car-top) yours?

I've been looking at the Malone SeaWing as a possible option. I own an MDX with factory crossbars installed in it.

Thanks for your input!

- Rob

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried car topping my Outback. I now trailer it on a small row boat trailer. Unless you have help car topping is not fun, it to heavy.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 65 and no muscleman. I can load my Pro Angler 14 atop my Dodge Durango with no help. I installed a set of Hully Rollers (from Yakima) on the rear crossbar.

The procedure is to raise the bow and place it into the rollers. Then lift the rear of the kayak and simply push it up and forward. I never have to lift more than about 45 pounds that way.

I run two tiedown straps through the side handles and add a tie rope from the bow handle to my front bumper. Done.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I ahve an Outback. I have Thule racks and cradles on my car. I put a piece of carpet on the back car roof, lean the OB on that, likt the tail and slide it onto the racks, no problem. I have put an extra handle on the bulkhead behing the OB seat, makes lifting a lot easier. Maybe Hobie should look at this as standard as the width maes it difficult for me to use both side handles at once.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went out and bought a landscape trailer for mine... Rigged up a "rack" on that. Makes loading/unloading a BREEZE! Plus, I've got a very useful trailer to use whenever I need it! Just remove the kayak rack from it and I can load it with whatever!

I used to car top it but my back would not like it "long term" and I use mine a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The rack you made, does it allow you to tow/store the OB rightside up? I tow mine upside down but then have to flip it for launching. Still beats a roof mount.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes... I've got the Yakima cradle...saddle... Can't think of the name of them but they fit the center section of the Outback perfectly (adustable, I've got them about 4" from eachother on center). I've got the front set right under the mirage drive slot and the back set I've got under the scuppers.

Those cradles are attached to cross bars I've got across the landscape trailer...

I'll get a picture in just a bit and post it. Works GREAT for me...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here you go:

I had an old aluminum ladder so I cut some sections of that off, bolted them to the cross bars so the cradles would fit.

The rope you see is to make sure they don't spread apart while in transit.

LOVE this system. Perfect for me.