Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear rudder control
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picked up our new Oasis yesterday.Everything worked fine,although the rear rudder control seemed to be able to go farther than it feels like it should.At full turn,it's able to jump over and go all the way to the stop.Asked the dealer and he said that it is not meant to do that.When you feel an internal stop,don't try to go any farther. Any one else experience this?

Thanks Mike

Post subject: Re: Rear rudder control
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Think I had the same thing you are talking about. I had a set screw in the control handle that needed tightening. If the set screw has slipped out of the indent in the shaft, then it needs to be loosened then reset. Be careful and hold the underside of the unit in with your hand, because it is spring loaded. It is best done with two people. If you loosen the screw without holding it in parts will fly everywhere.

If its new make the dealer fix it. But watch, it's a good thing to know how to fix if it ever happens out on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The current steering system allows you to remove the handle without the crank inside popping out. The new handles also don't slip so I don't think that is the issue. My first guess is that the steering lines are a little loose, or not adjusted quite right. You can snug up the steering lines in the back on the rudder. With the rudder centered, the handles should a bit off centered. I took a photo of our demo Oasis here showing the front handle. The rear should be similar but doesn't need to be at the exact same angle. I was able to pop it around the right but it took some force.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies.It did take some force to get the handle to go that far.Looking at your picture,with the rudder in the center position,it does not sem that your handle is not centered.Is there a way to remove the knob and center it in the recessed openingand then re attach? Is this something I should even be worried about?

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

EQWPD1:

I have noticed on my TI when it gets warm the entire boat lengthens quite a bit. When the boat is warm the rudder steering lines are very tight, and when the boat is cold the rudder lines are very loose.
I seem to need to adjust the rudder steering line tension every month or so of normal use. Sailing very fast and in heavy wind and waves seems to put more strain on those rudder lines, and they need to be adjusted more often in those conditions. I remember adjusting the rudder lines on my Oasis and Revolution periodically every month or two as well. It's pretty quick and simple to adjust, and it just something I always check when I get the boat out of the garage before leaving. I always keep a screw driver, pliers, and a length of spectra line in my dry bag whenever I go out. Besides needing adjustment once in a while I have never had any major issues with the rudder on any of our Hobies, except one time my friend broke the steering line, but I think he just overpowered it (operator error).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
your handle is not centered.Is there a way to remove the knob and center it in the recessed openingand then re attach?

"Centered" is not pointing straight forward. Due to the cockpit shape and better ergonomics for your hand when going straight... the handle points to the right at about 15 degrees or more when the rudder is centered. That is the mid point of the typical sweep of the handle left / right.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
EQWPD1:

I have noticed on my TI when it gets warm the entire boat lengthens quite a bit. When the boat is warm the rudder steering lines are very tight, and when the boat is cold the rudder lines are very loose.
I seem to need to adjust the rudder steering line tension every month or so of normal use. Sailing very fast and in heavy wind and waves seems to put more strain on those rudder lines, and they need to be adjusted more often in those conditions. I remember adjusting the rudder lines on my Oasis and Revolution periodically every month or two as well. It's pretty quick and simple to adjust, and it just something I always check when I get the boat out of the garage before leaving. I always keep a screw driver, pliers, and a length of spectra line in my dry bag whenever I go out. Besides needing adjustment once in a while I have never had any major issues with the rudder on any of our Hobies, except one time my friend broke the steering line, but I think he just overpowered it (operator error).
Hope this helps
Bob
Pardon me for being a little off topic but rudder lines seem to draw a lot of comments on the blogs. I have two Hobie outbacks and fish them often. I had to adjust my rudder lines once after about 20 hours of fishing. That was over two years and 1000 GPS Track miles ago. My rudder lines are not frayed or lose and work just fine. The same goes for my twist and stow rudder lines. When the Kayak was new I started lubricating the lines and tubes with Boeshield T9 lubricant. Boeshield contains a paraffin wax as one of its ingredients. Now after two years the lines are fairly impregnated with wax and the tube entry points show no wear. I am wondering if this is just an accident or maybe I don't put the strain on the lines sailors do or maybe I should be recommending Boeshield....any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpinfisherBob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BOL: "I have noticed on my TI when it gets warm the entire boat lengthens quite a bit. When the boat is warm the rudder steering lines are very tight, and when the boat is cold the rudder lines are very loose."

Thanks! Sometimes the obvious escapes us.

I got that physics lesson yesterday. Our clan went after our Christmas trees yesterday. When we go back, I made a new pot of coffee. After everyone got their cup, I poured 16 ounces into a pyrex measuring cup and nuked it in the micro wave. Then I poured the coffee into my metal coffee cup and put on and tightened the plastic lid which was cool to cold. I sipped the coffee and everything went well.

About 30-40 minutes later I tried to take a drink and coffee oozed out of the plastic lid's seal on the cup. The grandkids enjoyed seeing poppa cover his shirt with coffee.

Our engineer son/heavy duty construction guy said that when I tightened the cool lid after putting the coffee in the seal was good. 40 minutes later with the the plastic lid had expanded and the seal was leaking.

If a coffee cup lid can expand and contract with temp changes, how much will a kayak expand or contract with temp changes? Or when it is hot' and we put our yaks into a cool body of water or vice versa?

Apparently, the color of yaks can have an impact on this and on the comfort of the people inside the yak. A couple of weeks ago I was discussing color selection with an after market provider of Yak power. He said that the darker color yaks absorb the heat/ultra violet rays at higher and faster rates than the lighter colors. He said that dark red was on of the worse re temp increases inside the yak making being inside more uncomfortable. I know that inside our Red Oasis, it has seemed hotter than the outside air on warm sunny days. It is nice on cool and sunny days.

fusioneng wrote:
EQWPD1:

Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Grampa Spey wrote:

Apparently, the color of yaks can have an impact on this....

It sure can. This from the guru from a while back! 8)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12581&p=69904

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My lines for the up and down conntrol on my Sport are acting weird, i think they are loose. Do i tie a new knot where they come threw the rudder at the back to tighten them or is there a better way?