Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the particular grease that I need to use on my mirage drive? Seems a little loud, and the back piece that holds the fins on seem a little extra noisey. The one with the pin and brass thumb screw. I try to be quite in the water. Thanks. :shock: I know it not smacking the bottom of the PA. Its clancking. :o

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12577

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

In addition to light lube, the Drive has three grease locations:
--Idler shaft
--drum shaft
--Sprocket shaft

About once every couple of years depending on use (or when they start squeaking) they should be regreased, especially if they haven't been kept moist with a light lube. Hobie uses a marine grade axle grease (also specified for boat trailer axles). If you use a non-marine grade, it will wash out relatively quickly. Auto parts stores frequently carry this at a reasonable price -- call around. One small can will last a lifetime.

This project entails a major disassembly and re-tuning of the Drive. If you're at all mechanical, it's best to learn how to do this yourself. If you're not up to it, try to find a knowledgeable dealer who can handle the job (not all dealers are mechanics -- don't assume that they are).

You don't have to tackle all three shafts at once. Each one can be a separate project. 8)

PS Also note, any time you (or your dealer) disassemble the Drive, always use new Nyloc nuts for your cables (6 required). The old nuts lose their locking ability once cycled a couple of times because the cables use unique slotted threads that tend to shred the "Nyloc". This applies to cables and cable/chains only.