Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry - I'd posted earlier on the drive popping out and managed to get that under control with some tweaks to the drive and new masts. It's no longer a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I received my new replacement hull today. It is the new model with the new rudder handle, reinforced cart holes, and a new seat attachment design. (My dealer is sending me the parts needed to upgrade my old seat. However I bought a new seat because I did not want to wait, and now I'll have a spare seat.)

I had a shakedown cruise this afternoon and all is well! THANKS HOBIE! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For those interested, thought I'd pass along how this was resolved. Hobie was easy to work with on the warranty claim, and replaced the hull even though the boat was no longer under warranty when the crack developed. I ended up paying shipping on the hull, which I think was fair. Got the new hull today and am trying to figure out the small black inserts in the seat post holes. Not sure if those are shipping related and I should remove them, or if Hobie has changed the seats so my old seat won't fit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I received my new hull, my dealer removed the fasteners from my old seat. He then apparently drilled larger holes into the seat and added the new style fasteners. These new fasteners twist 90 degrees to lock the seat in place. I had never had a problem with the old fasteners, but apparently some customers did have problems.

Am not sure if you can simply remove the hole liners on the bull itself and stick with the old seat fasteners. I wouldn't go that way till you hear from Hobie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks - sounds like the seat attachment has changed. I'll check with the dealer to see what my options are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just read your posts about the cracked Outback hulls.
This is what i think what is maybe what happens. It´s a personal opinion and based on nothing official only my ideas.
This kayak model is so wide and stable that you can puth in so much more power and speed with the drive as the hull speed can handle. For example if the end and max speed of this model is 9 Kilometers per hour and you push harder the power will be a problem for the hull. And the most power is in the hole for the drive. Sometimes if i fish with a frend together he pushes his Turbo fins as fast as i mine normal sized fins and the speed is the same.

The warranty policy of Hobie is great! And i believe they will be thinking about this problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The odd thing it that, because I have 6-year old+ drives, I've been keeping speeds lower for the last two years — to avoid over-stressing and to preserve the drives — with only occasional sprints. Yet my last hull did the exact same as the other hulls — it still cracked in the identical place — despite my babying.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jpeight wrote:
Thanks - based on that, it doesn't look repairable, but I've posted a photo in case someone has a different opinion. This is the forward end of the Mirage drive well on a 2009 Outback.

Hi,

I have a hobie 2010 AI with turbo Fins that has just developed an identical crack after two years. Since I was aware of the issue, I took reasonable precautions during transport to prevent this.

pg13 wrote:
I don't think transporting your Hobie has anything to do with the cracks. Since I live on the lake my Hobies sit upside down on my dock when not in use. No transporting, but still cracks. Heavy use with turbo fins may be the common link.

Seems that transport is probably not the cause which redirects to user and or equipment issues. I am really racking my brain here. I love the hobie craft - especially the peddle mirage drive since I have damaged shoulder. This seriously worries me because as a user I cannot see that there is anything I am doing wrong.

It seems to me that the well design may be just borderline when it comes to strength and reliability and it is likely that the problem will reoccur and short of abandoning the mirage drive I am powerless to prevent it.
~