Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a evolve v2 kit to give me additional range or rescue me in a bad situation. Right now my overall max range is about 4 miles right now using the Mirage Drive in good weather light chop. I see many people adapting a trolling motor to their kayaks.. simple enough and less than half the price of the evolve.. but I wouldn't mind spending the extra $$ for the reduction in bulk.

The top questions I have are...

1. Is this powerful enough to use in open water? I want to go 2 miles offshore in up to 2-3ft waves; I'm primary concerned of getting to land quickly if bad weather appears.

2. Most mods I see use a 5hp trolling motor.. how does the evolve stack up power wise?

3. Are there install instructions available, I've searched and come up with nothing. I want to do a rudder mount.

4. Any recommendations on where in South Florida I can find an authorized reseller that does installation and/or I can get a test drive.

5. Any evolve owners out there? Would you buy again today based on your experience? Do you feel you got your $$ worth or do you wish you got a trolling motor instead?

6. Can I buy extra cables so I can use it rudder mounted in the Revolution 11 and Mirage Drive mounted in the Pro Angler 12?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you say "5HP trolling motors" are you talking electric? I've no seen anything beyond 85 pounds thrust, which is roughly 1HP, although not exactly transferable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure if they are talking about electric or not.. just see 5HP. I'm not really concerned if it can match a gas motor more so than whether it will be effective for what I'm looking for which is something to get me reasonably quickly to land over say 2 miles on open water in up to 3ft waves.

From the youtubes I've seen, the evolve looks slow in calm waters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bump. Anyone out there with a Evolve V2?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently met a fellow who has a Torqueedo Ultralight 403 kit on his non-hobie yak; this to my understanding is the equivalent of the Evolve v2. The bay was shallow and smooth with a mild current.. at full speed he was moving at a nice clip. He hasn't taken it out in deeper water choppier water yet but I decided to take the plunge. Having trouble finding a new evolve in stock.

Still would like to know how well the evolve does in say a 2ft moderate paced waves or boat wake if anyone with an evolve on any Hobie can share.