Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:05 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 52
All,

Does anyone have any experience racing touring kayaks with their Mirage boat over long distances, especially in conditions that aren't ideal for a regular kayak? If so, what were the results? No sail, just legs.

I just did 60 miles down the Columbia River in about 15 hours (broken up over two days) on my Revo 13. Conditions were a fairly even mix of heavy chop, flatwater and strong headwind. I honestly can't see anything short of an experienced kayaker in a surf ski being able to keep up. (Not that I'm any good...it is definitely all the boat :D )

Keith


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:44 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 248
Nothing long distance, but I did enter my Adventure in a 3-4 mile rowing regatta last year. Only 4 other kayaks (all paddle) were in my class; two surf skis and two touring kayaks. I finished in third place. Just couldn't catch those skis. Another 2-3 miles and it may have been a different story.

_________________
Southwest Hobie Island Club
http://www.facebook.com/southwesthic
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:52 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:53 am
Posts: 181
Location: Sollentuna, Sweden, Europe
I wrote about a similar race:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44573

I quote myself:
"Surfskies with good paddlers are the fastest, fast sea kayaks with good paddlers are very hard to beat. But the rest are possible..."

br
thomas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:52 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52 am
Posts: 137
Location: Phoenix, Az
dregsfan wrote:
Nothing long distance, but I did enter my Adventure in a 3-4 mile rowing regatta last year. Only 4 other kayaks (all paddle) were in my class; two surf skis and two touring kayaks. I finished in third place. Just couldn't catch those skis. Another 2-3 miles and it may have been a different story.


Hobies have there own race this year!...ok peddle category.

_________________
A couple of Sports
3 Revo 13s
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:01 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 248
I'm entered. How about you?

Kramster wrote:
Hobies have there own race this year!...ok peddle category.

_________________
Southwest Hobie Island Club
http://www.facebook.com/southwesthic
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:07 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 52
Kal-P-Dal wrote:
I wrote about a similar race:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44573

I quote myself:
"Surfskies with good paddlers are the fastest, fast sea kayaks with good paddlers are very hard to beat. But the rest are possible..."

br
thomas


Yes, that would be the anecdotal information I was looking for. Presumably the folks in the surf skis were competition-caliber athletes...that win time is incredibly fast. Yours is pretty good too!

Keith


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group