Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just got my second Revo 13 used (an 08). Got what I thought was a darn good deal... ST turbos ...(the smaller turbos) and some extra lil things...the guy I got it from said it had no leaks. Well, brought it and my other 13 and 2 Sports to a lil outing at a lake in AZ (Photos in "Places to Kayak" , the one with the dog on it, viewtopic.php?f=48&t=45329 ).
It leaked in about 4" of water in about 2 miles on flat water. Had to bail water out every few miles..sigh... also the drive would pop out as the twisty thing on the left would come up, screw and all....always something'.
Looks like the guy is not gonna take it back...trying to get maybe something back...
At least I might end up with a spare drive.
So some questions ...⬇

A. Can the leaks around drive be fixed enough to at least have only an inch every few hours like on one of my sports?
B. Can I fix the screw insert where the screw that holds the part that holds the drive?
C. Can I get a hull only?
D. Any other ideas?
E. Can I use a cassette or something and fill in that whole area to seal it up and at least have a sit on top paddle boat in the deal??
F. None of the above.

Love my Hobies and fun having extras for everyone to try. The girl in the photo with the dog loved that her dog was able to relax as he didn't in her sit in paddle boat...she did a lot of water bailage. But still loved it..cool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe Hobie offered/offers a kit with longer cam bolts that will prevent them from backing out.

Almost any leak, short of a serious structural defect, can be fixed by some means.

I'd guess Hobie would be better to contact insofar as being able to obtain just a naked hull.

Don't give up. There is always hope and with a little work and a few dollars, you may still have quite a nice boat at a really good price.

One thing I'd do when buying any kayak secondhand, is to pour in a couple or three gallons of water into the hull and then look carefully on the hull bottom and drive well to see if any water leaks out. Any serious crack or split should generally show itself in such a case.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Tom... even if I don't get things right I didn't loose too much as I get a seat, st tubo drive (and the old fins), paddle, a ball for attachments, dry bag, and spare parts...but I'll try to save her
The girl that used it still loved it with her dog so maybe Hobie gets a sale too...cool!