Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
My first post here. Hope it's in the right place/forum, apologies if it's not.

Looking to get 2 Revolution 11's. I have a 2010 Toyota Highlander. What rack system (Thule,Yakima, other?) do you recommend for convenience, fit, etc. to transport these guys?

I think transporting 2 laying flat, upside down (bottom up) looks the safest. I'd like to keep my factory flat crossbars and not spend $500 or more on a whole new rack system if possible. I hope 2 kayaks will fit side by side. I think the width is 29" each.

What method have you used that seems to work well?

Thanks so much,
Southman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Might want to check the weight allowance on those factory crossbars, they are often not intended for heavy loads, although two Revo's shouldn't stress them out too much at an approximate total of 114lbs.

I only have one Revo11, but I use Thule removable racks that clip on to the door jams (had them on my Toyota Matrix first, and then made them work on my Mazda CX5). These are fairly solid racks and I wouldn't hesitate to put another Revo on my roof with them. I also carry mine keel-up like you mentioned, and would do so for both if I was transporting two.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely look into the Thule "clip on" rack system.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, the clip ons would not work so well with your car because you already have a roof rack and cross-bars from the factory. What would be a better fit for your car would be aftermarket crossbars and the attachment points they recommend. Still gonna be $500+ though. But like I said, it may not even be necessary if your factory rails and crossbars are rated for 150lbs or thereabouts.

If still curious, try using the fitment guide at Thule's website: http://www.thule.com/fitguide/default.aspx?Language=en-US&Market=US

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi south,

The most cost effective rack system I have found and the easiest to load and unload without breaking the bank is:

Thule Towers (to fit your factory rack) mine have a rubber belt that clamps around my rack and tightens with a built in allen 'T' wrench. I added the key locks and the two racks are fully removable when not in use.
Thule 65" square bars
Yakima Land Shark Saddles
Thule Water Slide mat

I carry two Revolution 13's side by side and upright.

Simply lift the bow onto the water slide and grab the stern and slide it up onto the saddles. Put a pad, PFD or carpet under the keel if dragging the yak along concrete when getting bow up onto vehicle.to avoid sanding down your keel.

This will keep you under $500.00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey,
Thanks so much for the info. and the pics! Looks like a great solution. However, I have a "spoiler" on the back of my Highlander hatch, so I may go with the "load assist bar" that comes out from the side to help load them.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

south,

The spoiler does add a bit more challenge to the rear loading. The Outrigger II is the perfect solution as long as you can load/unload from the side. The next option is the Yakima Showboat. The show boat works great and can be installed between the Landshark Saddles. Just adds another $120.00 to the rack cost.

Revo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Revo. Somewhere I've got to consider the cost for this rack thing. One could go nuts with all the rack options. I'll probably go Outrigger II .As it is I'm probably looking at close to $600 for the rack to transport 2 yaks.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can share in your dilema south.

I was reluctant to spend the ASTRONIMICAL prices of rooftop racks. I finally had to break down and get the Thule Towers and bars biting the wallet a good chunk of change at almost $200.00 and refused to have to pay well over $150.00 for each pair (in some cases each) support to carry my kayaks on the bars.

I opted to just use pads on the bars and even went cheaper and used pipe insulation only with velcro straps attached to the bars.

One day cruising back from a day of kayaking cruising at 65 mph in blustery 20 -25 mph winds on the expressway my kayaks suddenly shifted and twisted on my rack almost 10-15 degrees. I pulled over to see my kayaks semi side saddle. They would not have come off but it was unnerving to say the least.
I carry them upright due to RAM balls and Sidekick bar makes upside down tough to slide up on bars.

I found to avoid the shift on the pad I would have had to tighten down so tight it would deform the hull so I needed another option. After a lot of searching for carriers I found the Land Shark Saddles and they were under $100.00 for two pair. I was sold and they are worth every penny and more.

Just blanket the side of your vehicle if loading alone to prevent scratches. Even with the Outrigger II there is a chance your kayak can brush up against your vehicle when loading the bow.

Revo