Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all!
First day on the forum. My wife and I are moving to a new town and we will be living across the street from a small lake. We did some kayaking last year on a family vacation and liked it a lot. We both enjoyed kayaking, but my wife was not a big fan of "paddling", so we did better in the tandem than the solo ones. :)

So, with the move, finances are a little tight, but I bought a used 2008 Hobie Odyssey tandem for $750. Looks to be in good condition. In looking at the forums, I saw some posts about cracking on Hobie kayaks. First questions: Is that common? Is there anything I should know to reduce this risk? I am a bigger guy. (6' 2" and about 250) if that makes a difference.

One of the reasons I chose this kayak is that you can move a seat to the center and use it solo. (Pretty sure my wife will not go with me every time. I will probably use it solo much more than we use it tandem. Someone mentioned in a post that it is better to paddle the Odyssey solo from the back position and put a counterweight in the front. (Suggested some kind of water bladder so you can fill it at the water instead of lugging dead weight around on shore.)

Does anyone here have experience paddling the Odyssey solo? Is what I read accurate about it being better to paddle solo from the back not the center??

I see there are a lot of accessories that you can add. For example, I hope to fish from the kayak, so the little rails on the sides that you can hook a rod holder on look appealing. Can those types of things be screwed onto any of the Hobie kayaks? Is it simply a matter of drilling holes and screwing these on?

All other information for the proper care and feeding of an Odyssey is appreciated!

OK, that's about it for now!
Thanks for any advice!
-Mike-