Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone seen or read about this? Interesting way of converting your canoe into a pedal-powered (prop) watercraft without having to cut a hole into the hull.

http://h2proped.com/about-h2pro-ped.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKZMtFykkwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdw2I5-7pHM

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Interesting... might work in my big ole big opening tandem I have laying around here somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just wonder what the last line on the main page means.

Quote:
The Flex Drive is not a primary power source of operation. All regulatory and safety procedures must be adhered to.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My original posting reminded me of another pedal-powered option for canoeists. A couple years ago I towed a family around a lake - at trolling speed - while they fished for bass and walleye from their canoe. I could hardly tell I was pulling them behind me - it required very little effort. Eventually, we met up with some people fishing from a 12 foot aluminum boat with what looked like a 4-hp motor - trolling along. They stared at my Adventure and asked a lot of questions. They were intrigued by the propulsion system and the ease with which I was able to tow the canoe. The funny part occurred some time later when the sky turned gloomy and we decided to head back to the cottage to avoid the approaching storm. I was able to maintain about 4-4.5 mph with the canoe in tow - eager to return home. We ended up passing the fishing boat again - this time traveling in the same direction. We passed them at such a relatively high rate of speed that one of the occupants of the boat suddenly quipped - in an obvious joking manner - "What?!? Are we not going fast enough for you guys?!?" :lol: Oh, and we caught a lot of fish too.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

augaug wrote:
I just wonder what the last line on the main page means.

Quote:
The Flex Drive is not a primary power source of operation. All regulatory and safety procedures must be adhered to.

Hi Augaug,

I sent a message to the company yesterday regarding your question and received a speedy response today. Here it is.

Quote:
"Thank you for your interest in our product. We added this comment to differentiate a human powered vs motorized drive system. For kayaks and canoes, paddles are considered the primary power source. Our general safety comment is intended to remind operators to follow all local regulatory and safety procedures pending their location of operation.

Please let us know if you have any further questions."

Thank you

Dave Gater

Phone: (905) 830-0127
Fax: (905) 775-4152

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks interesting and potentially viable.

Looks like it needs a bigger prop or gearing (to make it go faster).

One concern I immediately have is that while it looks relatively comfortable in use in the open canoe (where the seating position seems quite high), the lady in the sit-on-top looks very "recumbent" and her feet seem very high, especially at the top of the stroke...

Anyone going to volunteer to travel to Canada to try one out ?!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quetico wrote:

Hi Augaug,

I sent a message to the company yesterday regarding your question and received a speedy response today.

Gotcha.

stobbo wrote:

Anyone going to volunteer to travel to Canada to try one out ?!

Travel to Canada??? No problems.... DONE!! :D

Only problem with trying one out is that the water in my neighbourhood is pretty.... solid.... right now.

I'll try to remember to check it out at one of the Outdoor's shows, or if I remember in the spring, I'm sure I can find a place to try it out in the spring or summer. If I get the chance, I'll take a video and report back. But it's going to be a while, I think!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The company is located in a town that isn't all that far from me. We go through there as we head up to a family cottage, so I'm sure I can connect with them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I might get one to try on my big ole large opening tandem kayak..I sent them dimensions and photos to see what they think. Or just buy a canoe...naw...