Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaky rudder cables
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On my sports I have leaky rudder cables. How can I access them to lift the ends of the tubes so water won't get in?

Post subject: Re: Leaky rudder cables
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't want to sound like a smart arse, but I think raising the stern up higher is the best way to prevent water intrusion inside the hull....assuming you are getting quite a bit of water inside.
The sport is only rated for 225 pounds.....is it possible it's overloaded?

One thought is to try packing the tubes at the stern with "Gardner Bender Duct Seal Compound"....available at the Home Depot....this stuff might work as it does not harden and is water proof.
You would need to work it into each tube an inch or so as its "a clay like material" and will pack into a hole.....won't hurt the spectra lines.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Me and everything on board is less then 200lbs. The issue is one of the tubes hangs down at the bottom of the hull while under way. It's the cable that raises the rudder so it's slack while under way. I think the reason it has so much slack is that there is a piece (loop) of shock cord that tensions it up front while not in use that is over stretched. Going to try replacing it and see if it removes the slack.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jahaiap :
I'm advising you not to put anything at all inside the cable tubes, it will just collect sand and jam the cables. The way the tubes work is they come into the hull, and are typically clipped to the top inside of the hull, on the TI, Revo, etc these clips are on both side of the rearmost hatch opening. The tubes will come out of the catches from time to time and drop down, and need to be checked once in a while. On mine I just tied a piece of string around the tubes and around the catch, this seems to help hold everything together nicely.
The way the tubes work is they come into the hull at a fairly low point, and water and waves tend to splash water into them. The tubes are designed to be strapped to the highest point possible within the rear of the boat so the middle of the tubes are higher than the opening. This creates an air bubble within the tubes that water will not penetrate. On my Tandem Island when I'm going very fast the entire rear of my boat is under water (the tube openings are actually below the water line). Because of the air bubble in the tubes I get no water intrusion.

Once repairs are completed, to test just lay paper towels inside the hull, and go out for a short time, when you get back in, you will see where the water is coming in.
If you are still having water intrusion, you might try putting a small O-ring or two over the spectra line (something that fits fairly loosely). Then carefully with silicone goop around the O-ring (holding it against the hull and tubing collar with the silicone glob). Be careful to not get any silicone on the rudder cable itself.
Candle wax is hydrophobic you can also rub candle wax into the spectra line where it goes thru the tubes. It helps prevent the line from getting soaked, sand and crud doesn't stick to the wax. personally I prefer to not use any lubricants and waxes, just keep everything clean and dry, and make sure the tubes are mounted high inside the hull.
my 2 cents
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:38 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sports have no rear hatch, so access is restricted. Unfortunately the cable entry points sit relatively low in that model. Adding a cargo well hatch is one option, but could invite additional leaks if not sealed carefully. Replacement cables and tubes have seals in them, but the seals can malfunction or wear out. It may be possible to wedge a pair of rectangular flotation blocks along the sides, under the cables. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jahaiap....have you ruled out the possibility the drain plug is not leaking?
Sometimes the o-ring can be defective or the plug is not closed tight or it just needs some silicone grease to lubricate it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will check the drain plug o ring. I found out if you remove the 8" hatch completely you can get your head inside for a really good view of what's going on. As per roadrunner's suggestion I'm going to prop all of the tubes up using float noodles cut to fit. I'll take some before and after pictures. I have the same issue in both of my sports. And both of the shock cord "tensioners" seem stretched so I will probably replace them, too. Thanks for all the replies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I resolved the issue with adjustments.

Before

After

I tightened these zipties to shorten the overall length of the line+shock cord combo, I think what I really did was compensate for worn out shock cord so I will eventually replace them.

Here is a video of it in motion.

The tube went from on the bottom of the hull to up next to my right hip. I think if that's where my leak was it will be always above the waterline now. I think that's where they are supposed to be. Just have to test it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice detective work!