Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mmiller, I have an 04' Outback that I would like to get the kit for. I notice it has a little bit of movement in the locking system. The whole drive system will rock forward or back about 1/4" or so in the motion. So before the arms/fins actually move the whole units shifts forward or back a bit. I think this might be a problem long term. Thought about putting something in hole at the front of the drive system like a sponge or foam pad??? Maybe I'm making an issue out of nothing? Just seems like it my wear out part of the hull with the rocking motion over time. Is this a concern or normal???

Last of all when I purchased my yak the scupper/drive plug was not available and was given a sheet to send in for it. Can I send in this sheet and request a kit to both be mailed out in the same shipment???

(Hope this is posted in the right forum?) Thanks...

Post subject: Fore and Aft movement
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Don't worry about the Fore and Aft movement. That is designed-in. Each hull flexes and shrinks differently during the molding process, storage and shipping. Perhaps even with tying down for roof top transportation. The drive must seat under the cams and is allowed a bit of fore and aft movement so those two spots as fully seated first. Some boats will be tight, other may be loose. When the drive is in use the system rocks forward and that is it. Some people have added a spacer up front, but it isn't critical.

Go ahead and mail in the sheet for the cassette well plug. We may end up having to ship twice, but don't worry about it. Harder to manage than it is likely worth.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)