Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not a complete expert on this, but a number of the members here are. So I'm just going to start the list, and let others fill it in.

-While freshwater camping, take a water filter, and pack less water. Always make sure you have enough water bottles (or reserve drinking water) to get you home if the pump fails, but this is a great way to save weight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed. But with the majority of places where I sail, I don’t have the luxury of beautiful blonde maidens looking at their reflections in fresh mountain steams, like you do augaug. I'm sure this was filmed at Lake Opeongo. The Aussie truck driver sets them straight though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml3ybCxxMRk[/youtube]

Most spots around here are salt water so taking your own fresh water is about the only option. I don’t know anything about filtering water devices as I haven’t really seen the need but I can certainly see why you would where you sail. The last trip I went on, I took 12 litres in 6 x 2 litre Coke bottles. I froze 3 x 2 litres to put in a cool bag with some meat and margarine that would be used up by day 2. I like the 2 litre bottles. They fill voids in between gear, can fit right up the hull internals, they don’t catch on any rudder lines etc, they are easily accessible and also easily moved to distribute weight. They also squash down after use to take up even less space.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

https://www.theclymb.com

just follow backpacking rules.. You really can get what you "need" nearly down to nothing..

I gave up on tents.. I love hammocks.. my close to the truck rig is simply an old bedsheet with a couple 'sheetbends' on either end.. I throw a tarp/fly over the top if rain is expected... but there are a number of high quality commercial versions around.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a bivy bag for me with a lightweight alcohol stove, billy can, dried food and minimal clothing. Amazing how little you actually need when you get down to it. I like coke bottles for carrying water too -dead cheap, light, reliable, easy to replace. I also like wine box inners for carrying larger quantities.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stobbo wrote:
It's a bivy bag for me with a lightweight alcohol stove, billy can, dried food and minimal clothing. Amazing how little you actually need when you get down to it. I like coke bottles for carrying water too -dead cheap, light, reliable, easy to replace. I also like wine box inners for carrying larger quantities.

wine box liners is a great idea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

+1 on the hammock - I love my Clarks Jungle Hammock...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto. Love my Hennessey. Mind you, it did take me about 3 nights before I loved it.

It took 3 nights before I had the faith in it that it wasn't going to hit the ground. Also the thermal blanket makes all the difference. So versatile, and again........light weight.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.