Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What's the biggest difference between these two tandem kayaks? I've read the Outfitter is more like a tandem Outback. The dealer nearest me only has an Outfitter for a demo. I asked him why they didn't have a Mirage tandem and he stated because they sell like 50 to 1 Outfitters to the Mirage Tandem model. The Mirage Tandem looks a little more streamlined and possibly faster. Is this true or are they close in speed.

I'm looking for a kayak for the wife and I to enjoy. We love the water and I can't wait to get one. (Then I'll have to get an Adventure after that).
Faster = longer range which has a big plus in my mind, providing not too many other features have to be compromised. I'd love to hear opinions and experiences comparing these two tandems.

For now, you can skip the talk/warning about getting in the same boat with the wife. I just like the idea of not having to go the speed of the lesser peddler. Also, one boat and we're off enjoying the wonderful sport. As mentioned above, the Adventure or maybe a Revo will be the second boat purchased.

Thanks.

Post subject: Hey Baker
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:D Hows it doing.. My wife and I just bought our first kayak in July. When we went to the dealer they tried to order us the outfitter tandem at first but I insisted on the tandem for a couple reasons. The first reason was the longer length of the tandem seemed like it had the potential to be a faster boat than one that was shorter in legnth. The other reason was the stated ability of the tandem to carry one hundred more pounds of payload and that seemed like a good idea for long trips on the water and also it might be somewhat stronger and maybe more durable as well. The only drawback to the tandem was putting it on the roof rack. We have had to struggle to get it up there at times but have since figured out our routine a little better. That being said we have been very happy with the tandem model out on the water. The boss sits in the front and I do the steering and sailing from the rear. The point you make about two single boats is valid, yet with the tandem you are always on the same track. When she gets tired I can just keep peddaling and move the boat along while she puts her feet up, although somewhat slower, its better than having to stop or worry about one person getting to far ahead of the other etc etc. So in that respect it keeps things together on the water. When both parties are pedalling the boat moves along quite well. Plus when you both jump on the pedals the boat cranks up in a sprint when you want to wake ride or catch a wave. I have tried to solo the tandem and it works just fine with one person, but put some weight (gear) in the front as the boat seems to track better with fewer course corrections when the bow is cutting through the water a bit. The same holds true if you weigh more than your wife , try and balance the weight fore and aft and it seems to hold a better line. About being in the same boat..everybody has their moments now and then..but for the most part its been a blast. Hopefully you can get some feedback from the outfitter users before you decide since I cannot give you a first hand account on that boat other than the published specs..etc Hope that helps some . If you have any other questions let me know. :wink:
-kepnutz-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:45 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

thebaker wrote:
What's the biggest difference between these two tandem kayaks? I've read the Outfitter is more like a tandem Outback. The dealer nearest me only has an Outfitter for a demo. I asked him why they didn't have a Mirage tandem and he stated because they sell like 50 to 1 Outfitters to the Mirage Tandem model.

The way I see it, the Outfitter is more of a tandem fishing kayak and the Oasis (new name for the old Tandem) is more of a cruising boat.

According to the newest specs, the Tandem/Oasis is two feet longer, one inch narrower, has three hatches instead of two, weighs three pounds less and carries 100 pounds more. The Outfitter is a newer boat and is filling a new nitch, whereas the Oasis has been around for years. So if the Outfitter is currently outselling the Oasis, there are a lot more Tandem/Oases around!

For 2006, the Tandem/Oasis cockpit was modernized with the extra hatches, side pockets, etc. For '07, I believe it gets the new Twist & Stow rudder. So cockpit amenities are essentially the same.

My wife and I have an older Tandem and greatly enjoy it. If buying new today, for our purposes we would probably make the same choice. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone (I'm new to this forum)! I am planning to get me a Hobie Mirage next Spring and I was also wondering about the differences between Outfitter and Tandem/Oasis.

At least I figured out one thing: Hobie got their metric measurements wrong on the web site. The capacity of the Tandem/Oasis is shown as 186 kg which does not match the 550 lbs indication. The correct number should rather be about 250 kg! So that explains why everyone says the Tandem has a higher capacity, which looked wrong to me at first. :idea:

Another concern though is the actual storage volume. Neither of the tandem boats seem to have much space to stow bags. I suppose that if my girl friend and me want to take camping equipment with us, we would better have two single kayaks. Or is there a way to tow some kind of "luggage kayak"?

Cheers,
Johannes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Last weekend, my wife and I tried both boats. We found the Oasis to be a much better boat for what we are looking for. It is faster. It cuts through the water better. Less hull slap. It's cooler looking. And I'm currently waiting for a dealer by me to get one in.

As for fishing, I think that the Outfitter will be easier to set up, but I would still choose the Oasis as a fishing kayak. This is because I like it's performance better and am willing to wait and figure out what to do about rod space. Besides, i don't carry a lot of stuff with me. I decide what kind of fishing I'm going to do and that is that.

Good luck with you're decision.