Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello I live in monterey,ca and love to fish but i have never fished from a kayak before. i will use it in the ocean and in the flats when i go to fl. what yak should i choose or which is best suited for me and where is a good place to buy thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Look on the Hobie website for your nearest dealer and ask for an on-the-water demonstration. Based on your needs, usage and priorities, your dealer should be able to suggest one or two models that will best suit your circumstances. Let us know what happens! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, just a little confused. You say you live in CA but will be using the kayak when you go to FL?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok thank you for the help, i went to a dealer and he had a outback and revolution the only 1 he had that i could try is the revo it was nice and he said it was better for speed, but i couldnt use the other 1 so is the speed really a difference or no. Also i think i would need a wider base if fishing from and being in ocean is that correct or does it not matter. Yes i live in CA but i will move back to florida eventually. thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its personal preference.
I fish offshore in my Revo11 (south Florida), but it didn't feel as stable as the Outback, nor did it have as much gunnel space for rod holders and gadgets. On the other hand the Outback is heavier and a bit slower.
I chose [the revolution] based on portability and speed. Your concerns may differ, you gotta try both to be happiest with your choice/investment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Mike, welcome to kayak fishing. I fished in an Out back for many years. To compensate for the slower speed I installed a set of Turbo fins on my drive. I had no problems meeting up with longer YAKS.

Good luck

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As with all comparisons between kayaks, there is some give and take with both options.

You definitely could invest in a set of the turbo fins for the outback. However, if you are on the flats and not concerned with covering a large area, I would go with the standard shorter fins. They are MUCH tougher and will not split the rubber open if you run them into a sand bar unlike the turbo fins sometimes will.

The revo 13 is very fast and maneuverable. Even if it is less stable than the outback I can go further with a revo, turn upwind and drift/hover, side-saddle, and peddle a quick u-turn out of sticky situations; but then again I use it mostly for bay fishing or light chop and only weigh about 160.

Mariner Sails Wind & Watersports

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for the comments i appreciate it. I will take them all into consideration.