Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have cracks and small punctures inside rear seat scupper tubes below the seat drain plugs. How is the best way to fix this below water line crack and very hard to get to?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

docgerner :
If the boat is less than 2 yrs old and still under warranty, it is best to take to your dealer and have them evaluate, and or repair. This would be a difficult repair if it is where I think it is in the seat drains (not scupper holes for cart).

If out of warranty you may be able to get by with sticking a small piece of pvc tubing in the center of the hole (so it still drains), then fill the hole with silicone from the bottom, flush with the bottom of the hull. It may still leak a little but not a show stopper (most kayaks leak a little). If you can reach inside the hull you might want to gob silicone or 3M 5200 around the posts on the inside of the hull as well (if you can reach them).
Use a good grade of clear silicone (the more expensive stuff), and do it in layers. Thinner is better (less than 1/4 inch thick), use another piece of larger PVC tubing stuffed in the hole to fill some of the gap if needed.
Of course nothing will stick to the hull material very well unless you weld it with the hobie weld kit (a heat gun, with the correct supplied plastic), but I think that would be a really difficult area to weld.
I have had some limited success with a regular hot glue gun also, but that can be very dangerous (possibly melting the hole bigger).
I have never heard of this problem before, if it's in the seat drain holes.
Hope this helps you
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kayak is only 15 months old and dealer and or Hobie has not even mentioned warranty would help with this issue..... If the scupper holes for the seat and the beach wheels were not the same distance apart this would have not been possible to insert the beach wheels in the wrong scupper hole.
When I asked the dealer how much just a Hull would cost if the leak could not be successfully sealed would cost and he said the bare hull would cost within 200.00 of a completely rigged new Kayak. Yes I was shocked at that statement.... Hobie representitive said they did not have a price list for hull only but yet i see that some on the forum have bought hulls only from hobie for as little as 300.00 plus shipping... So I am confused by it all.

This was my fault in not instructing my guest not to put the dang wheels in the front holes but as I said if they (Hobie) had thought of this issue they would not be the same distance apart to begin with.

I have Plastic Steel, 5200 silicone, West Marine Epoxy, SS clamps, rubber unions with SS clamps but I just have not seen enough info what would be the best fix and what happens if you use the wrong one, will the other method then work????? Wow, it is completely confusing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Hull only pricing differences you have seen is related to partial warranty coverage differences. Depending on the age of a boat (out of warranty) we may offer a pro-rated replacement cost. That price then is higher as the boat ages. Same as getting warranty on a tire. You pay more the more thread is worn off. We simply go by age.

When damage is an acknowledged user error, we sometimes offer a "good faith" adjustment, but that is going to be on the higher end of cost when its not a materials or manufacturing defect.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

docgerner :
I am very surprised that the dealer told you a replacement hull was within $200 of a new boat since the Oasis costs $2850 and includes 2 mirage drives at $500 ea. I really suspect he was just being lazy and just looked up a number in the catalog and never contacted Hobie service at all.

Lets just say for discussion that the rest of the components (ie seats, rudder, hatches, etc) are worth around $500 (just a wild guess). I have received replacement hulls from Hobie before and typically you can't purchase just a raw hull, all the hulls go thru the same production lines so any replacement hull will have the hatches installed, the rudder and all cables installed, basically a complete hull less the mirage drives, paddles, and accessories. I would be an utter nightmare to try to remove the hatches and rudder lines from your old boat and try to apply them to a raw new hull since there is machining involved, jigs, fixtures, and custom fitting of some components (ie.. like the gasket around the big hatch) so it would be impractical and useless for you to just get a raw unfinished hull.
Depending where you are in relation to California (where the Oasis is made) correlates to the shipping cost. I'm not certain how much it would cost to ship a hull from California to where I live in Florida, but can't imagine it being less than $200-$300 dollars shipping.

Having pictures of the problem area will help quite a bit (jpegs on a memory card) if it were me I would take the boat back to the dealer and have them call Hobie and send the pictures along with an explanation of the problem. Your dealer is your contact point to Hobie and he is supposed to take care of everything for you (getting replacement costs, shipping info, delivery, etc).
He may be unaware of Hobies procedures, basically dealers have direct contact with service, and between the two of them they will come up with a solution. This situation is not something he can just look up in a catalog, he has to contact Hobie service directly. ( again I suspect given the price he quoted you he was just being lazy and just looked up a price in a catalog somewhere without contacting Hobie service). It's his job as a Hobie dealer to deal with these situations properly, that's the way their entire system is setup.
Hope this helps you, let us know how it goes
Bob