Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am a huge fan of the new threaded V2 sprockets and have upgraded my drives and a few friend's drives some time ago away from the older V1 sprockets & allen screws.

I noticed some time back that Hobie now includes the front guard pre-installed on the new V2 sprockets (#81129001). Saves a lot of hassle as I remember some of the very first V2 sprockets had some fiddling to get that front guard to fit.

Q. The 81129122 Kit ($54.99) is listed as V2 Sprocket upgrade kit comes with 2 turbo masts & 2 V2 sprockets & locktite. Am I correct in assuming that the kit also includes the front guards pre-installed onto the sprockets? Am I also correct that the turbo masts are the newest type; the ones with the rounded ends and flat section to install with a wrench (the old threaded V2 masts had a slot on the end for installing with a straight blade screwdriver.)

I have found both of these Hobie's upgrades in the V2 system to be welcome ones and wanted to be sure the kit has all the good stuff. I just love it that Hobie keeps on improving their hardware & boats.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:06 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Yak! The new masts have been out for a couple of years at least now, so the only way you'd get the older version is if your dealer has some unsold old stock. Don't know about the sprocket guards. I think part of the problem is that the threaded sprockets are marginally larger than the "V-1"s, so the old sprocket guard holes were slightly misaligned if you were re-using them. You almost had to re-drill or leave one side unscrewed or leave them off altogether. Hopefully they now come pre-installed to eliminate the problem! You can always have your dealer inquire with Hobie if no answer shows up here.

I've been meaning to ask -- how have your brass inserts and zerk fittings been holding up on your drums? Any difference in performance? How often do you grease? Are you using marine axle grease or just standard lube grease? Any difference in wear characteristics, especially on the axle? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
Hi Yak!
I've been meaning to ask -- how have your brass inserts and zerk fittings been holding up on your drums? Any difference in performance? How often do you grease? Are you using marine axle grease or just standard lube grease? Any difference in wear characteristics, especially on the axle? 8)

Marine grease is used. Can't say I noticed much difference in performance. The place where I drilled and threaded in the grease fitting has failed. The plastic was too thin or fragile for the threads to hold. When I remove the grease gun the fitting pulls out of the drive, staying stuck on the gun. I do believe it helps as the new grease forced out the old grease & contaminants. I think a small rubber plug, like what is used to inflate a soccer ball, installed in the drive and then greased using a grease needle would work better. It was a very old drum