Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I’ve recently purchased two new storage pouches from Tackle Webs in the US. The quality seems top notch and they should prove ideal for the handy, yet secure, storage of regularly used items whilst afloat. For me, that’ll include such items as pliers, bait elastic, line, hooks and minor items of end tackle.

The bags are sided for left and right fitment.The right hand pouch has dedicated secure storage for pliers and an additional smaller pouch for minor items. The left hand pouch is one large compartment with an upper Velcro strip so it can be secured in the closed position if required.

Right hand side pouch (above)

Left hand side pouch (above)

They are shaped to fit either side of the seat, the two photographs below show ‘before & after’ fitment.

There is plenty of room either side of my legs to permit items to be fitted within the pouches without restricting space within the cockpit.

Fitment is really straight forward. The areas either side of the seat were degreased with a suitable solvent, white spirit, etc. The bags are actually fitted to the sides of the kayak with adhesive Velcro strips. The adhesive seems exceptionally strong and you only effectively get one shot at fitting them into place!.

Once fitted, I used a towel to press firmly around the edges of the pouches to ensure that the Velcro firmly adhered to the hull. The Velcro does mean that the pouches could be removed, but why would you?. They are low profile when empty and weigh very little.

That’s literally all there is to it!, fitment takes under 5 minutes. Although probably best suited to the storage of smaller items, it’s provides some very valuable ‘on deck’ storage for those items that you always need to hand but would like neatly stored and secure.

Lowrance Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Hook1 Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice -- do you think the adhesive will actually hold up, though?

I've used industrial velcro with adhesive backing several times in the past on my kayaks, but could never get it to last more than a year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stk wrote:
Nice -- do you think the adhesive will actually hold up, though?

I've used industrial velcro with adhesive backing several times in the past on my kayaks, but could never get it to last more than a year.

Time will tell. Worst case a bolt in each top corner will hold it in place.

Lowrance Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Hook1 Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like it! maybe now I can get these and stop relying on the pockets in my life-vest. This would allow me to downsize my PFD to one of the inflatable ones from Hobie 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How did you order these? I've been trying to order through the website and it will not calculate shipping, so it can't complete the order.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gas Yakker wrote:
How did you order these? I've been trying to order through the website and it will not calculate shipping, so it can't complete the order.

I actually chatted with the owner on FB and ordered them over chat :lol: .

There's a contact tab at the top, drop him an email and I'm sure that he'll sort you out.

Lowrance Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Hook1 Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Scrumpy. I've emailed Mike back & forth a couple times so I'm sure we'll sort it out eventually.

He said the site should be working now & it didn't for me, so just curious how people were ordering.

Thanks again & tight lines in the UK!