Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Revolution 11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had my Revo 11 about 2 weeks now and it even better than I had hoped. There is no comparison to the ocean aegean it replaced. Couple of quick questions.
Does it matter where the flippers are when you paddle? Less drag when horizontal or better directional stability vertical?
Is there a recommended lubricant for the hatch O rings?
I've seen a post where heat shrink tubing was put over the swedged ends of the cable, will that help salt water longevity?
Should I adjust the pedals so I can fully extend my knee or should I be able to feel the bump at the end of the pedal travel? Right now I'm set for full extension, with pedals on balls of my feet. Is that the way to get the most power? Turbo ST fins already installed. Marty D

Post subject: Re: New Revolution 11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome aboard!
1. I don't think it matters where the flippers are, I just know paddling is difficult. In my case, I launch from the beach without the mirage drive in place and paddle my revo11 out past the first set of breakers but the yak doesn't track straight unless the rudder is down.
2. Hatch o-rings: no idea, but its something I think I should look into, because after 18 months of ownership the hatches need a bit more force to close than they did when new.
3. I think its best to adjust the pedals so you get full extension on your legs. This should prevent you from damaging the sprockets if you decide to race somebody and really apply a good amount of torque to the mirage drive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I set my MD so that I can't quite bottom it out.

Surprisingly, you can generate as much speed with short strokes as you can with longer ones, although you generally have more strength at full extension. Then again, the MD doesn't require a great deal of strength to operate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the hatch o-rings I lubricate mine with spray silicone - works a treat making the hatch feel like new (...nearly).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hatches always seem to bind as time goes on. This is due to the sun/heat warping the hull. Put's stress on the hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

hevysrf wrote:
Does it matter where the flippers are when you paddle? Less drag when horizontal or better directional stability vertical?
Congratulations on your new boat! Drag difference is negligible. Fins down for best directional stability, fins up for shallow water, surf or if you want more paddle steering input. Remember, this boat can be edged for minor directional adjustment, pedaling or paddling. Double check rudder directional control lines to be snug (with rudder down and centered) for best directional stability. Slack is removed at the rudder connection. You can get even more directional stability/rudder authority by using large rudder.

Quote:
Is there a recommended lubricant for the hatch O rings?
An acceptable alternate to spray silicone is silicone grease -- lasts longer but collects sand and dirt.

Quote:
I've seen a post where heat shrink tubing was put over the swedged ends of the cable, will that help salt water longevity?
Don't think so -- might trap moisture. Thorough rinse is best after each use IMO

Quote:
Should I adjust the pedals so I can fully extend my knee or should I be able to feel the bump at the end of the pedal travel? Right now I'm set for full extension, with pedals on balls of my feet. Is that the way to get the most power?
Yes, fully extended so you don't hit the stops with normal use. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally have some time in the boat, when paddling in a cross wind flippers up seem to reduce tendency to point into the wind. Down wind paddling , fins down for directional stability.