Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Oasis Owner Review
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought my first kayak 15 yrs ago. It was an SOT tandem boat that my wife and I used quite extensively on lakes in Arizona. I live on the water in Florida now and still love to kayak for just the pure pleasure of getting out on the water and enjoying the scenery. I own a couple of Hurricane Phoenix kayaks, and they are great boats for anyone wanting to paddle. I also own a couple of other kayaks, including a Hobie Pursuit. In the area where I live, we have strong currents from the tides and usually some good winds. The combination of the two, often made it difficult on my wife and my kids to enjoy themselves. Paddling as hard as you can and yet making little headway is no fun. I started looking at alternatives, which led me to Hobie's Mirage boats.

I decided on purchasing a new Hobie Oasis because my wife and I always enjoyed our tandem boat. I figured if we liked it we would buy another one and get the whole family out (4 of us) in just two boats. My kids had reached the point where they no longer had an interest in getting out and paddling. I admit that I made the mistake of taking them on trips that were too long for their endurance. Keep that in mind if you have kids. Ease them into it and return home when they ask.

I've had the boat now for about two months and have taken it out many times. In summary, I absolutely love this boat!!! I am now ready to buy another one. We are having a blast with it! My wife loves it too and I'm starting to win my kids back over to kayaking again. When I bought the boat I had the dealer upgrade the mirage fins to turbo fins on the drive that I would be using and I also purchased a sail kit. On our first trip out we had a really good time. I have done some sailing in the past and I picked right up on sailing the Oasis. But even if you haven't sailed before, it so easy to sail this boat. It is so fun to sail and peddle and so easy and relaxing. We were immediately able to explore areas that we hadn't had the endurance to paddle to in our other boats. Our kayaking range quadrupled easily and when we are done kayaking we feel refreshed, not sore and exhausted.

The Oasis takes waves really well. Yesterday evening we were out in the gulf for a sunset peddle and we had the sail up. There was a perfect mix of waves and wind as we sailed along the beach. We could see people pointing at us and commenting to each other. A lot of people have never seen one of these boats before, and this is a vacation destination area. Someone yelled out "That is so cool!" Anyway, on our way back in through the narrow channel from the Gulf, we found ourselves up against some 4 foot waves and much stronger winds. The water is a churning mess in this area because it is converging on a small passageway. it is difficult to navigate. I have installed a sail furler, but decided to keep the sail up and get through this area quickly. At one point we were riding on top of a four footer and the front drive was hanging out of the water catching air and then we side slammed by another large wave. This is the only time since we've had the Oasis out that we almost tipped over. It was a very close call, but we leaned into the wave and were able to keep the boat upright. I wish I had it on video. We don't use the ama's and don't really see a need to get a set. We've sailed in twenty plus mph winds with the mast bending over and been fine. We just lean and we are fine.

The only time that we've struggled in this boat is when we were coming in through the channel against a very strong outgoing tide and a strong wind in our face. We worked up a sweat getting in, but typically the tides are not that strong. Now I watch the tide charts before going out and avoid the pass if its a particularly strong tide.

The Oasis is a beautiful boat to look at and a very fun boat to take out. It is extremely stable and nice and roomy. Has loads of storage space. The design and layout is well thought out with a couple of exceptions. There are a couple of changes that I think should be made. 1. The drain plugs in the seats are a pain in the neck to get at when underway. You have to reach under your bottom and unscrew them and then hold the cap up so the water drains. Bad design. I've seen where someone crafted a valve drain to replace it, but it seems a bit complicated for me to craft. 2. The paddles attach to the sides of the boat and interfere with me holding onto the side handles. I like to hold the handles when I'm peddling. We only take one paddle with us now, which frees up the side were I have my sail rigging, but the other paddle blocks my handle. I'm thinking about getting the optional snap in short handle, which take the paddle down to about half size, but that will also make the paddle less effective in the event I need it......... Those are really my chief complaints. Fairly minor in comparison to all the great things about this boat. Again, just to reiterate..... I love this kayak!!!

Two thumbs up and a ten out of ten for this boat. I will be getting another one soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sterling, welcome to the forum, congratulations on your Oasis and thanks for your review. As you may already know, the new Oasis is no slouch as a solo kayak either with Turbofins and ballast!

The earlier versions had a single scupper plug under the middle of the seat, so thank goodness you got the "new and improved" version. Self draining valves have their problems as well -- that's probably why Hobie hasn't gone to them. Since you typically sit above the water line in that boat, you can try keeping them loose or removing them -- especially in rough seas when you may expect water on board. A little experimentation will determine what works best for you.

I don't care much for the paddle-grip combo either, but alternatives are limited. IMO it's definitely nice to have the full paddle with such a large boat. I've learned to adjust the grip and no longer give it much thought. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your reply Roadrunner and for your warm welcome. I think I'll give removing the plug caps a try. The seat seems to sit high enough and the scuppers are a small enough diameter that I might not have an issue with the water coming up. Since I enjoy waves and rough water, I am getting water over the bow and sides. To have it easily drain would be a plus. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nope, removing the plugs didn't work. Too much water comes up. I'll either live with it, or think of something eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Try this:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=15411&p=82260
8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That looks like a good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks!