Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adventure 2013 changes?!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all !

I'm about to replace my Outback with a adventure or even a Revo 13 (i have had a Revo 13 before). I sold my seakayak wich was mainly for touring. But i dont have room for all those kayaks :lol: So the plan is to get back to only 1 kayak. A kayak i can use for everything. (40% fishing 60% touring).

But i cant see anywhere what the 2013 upgrades for the Adventure is. Does anyone in here know?

*sorry for my bad english, i'm from Denmark ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My understanding is that the changes are minimal/nothing worth mentioning.

I just added a 2012 AI with my 2011 Outback. I cant tell you how much fun I am having with the AI. Unlike the perception, the Adventure only mode is very stable (I am 5"8, 205). I have not had a chance to test out a Revo, but highly recommend the Adventure!!

Transportation isnt much of an issue for me as I use a trailer. I haven't noticed any significant difference in getting to and from the water. I use the C-Tug cart for the AI.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

VaBeach1 wrote:
My understanding is that the changes are minimal/nothing worth mentioning.

I just added a 2012 AI with my 2011 Outback. I cant tell you how much fun I am having with the AI. Unlike the perception, the Adventure only mode is very stable (I am 5"8, 205). I have not had a chance to test out a Revo, but highly recommend the Adventure!!

Transportation isnt much of an issue for me as I use a trailer. I haven't noticed any significant difference in getting to and from the water. I use the C-Tug cart for the AI.

Thank you for respond :) Well the transportation dont worry me. I'm used to the Outback, and thats annoying to load.
My mind is set for the Adventure and i'm 90% sure its gonna be that one. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would highly recommend the Adventure for your proposed usage - I have almost exactly the same requirement i.e. mostly cruising but with a decent amount of fishing at the same time.

For me the big advantage of the Adventure is its sailing ability (with optional daggerboard); this significantly increases your cruising options and the potential distances you can cover in the right conditions.

I am sure there are those out there who will say good things about the Revo too (it looks like a really great boat to me) but I think the Adventure would still be my choice if I was looking for one kayak which will excel in both areas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stobbo wrote:
I would highly recommend the Adventure for your proposed usage - I have almost exactly the same requirement i.e. mostly cruising but with a decent amount of fishing at the same time.

For me the big advantage of the Adventure is its sailing ability (with optional daggerboard); this significantly increases your cruising options and the potential distances you can cover in the right conditions.

I am sure there are those out there who will say good things about the Revo too (it looks like a really great boat to me) but I think the Adventure would still be my choice if I was looking for one kayak which will excel in both areas.

Thanks!! Well an Adventure it is 8) Mailing the order as we speak!

About the sailing part. I have heard so many ppl talk about it, but here in denmark, there are not really anybody using sail kit. Wich is really weird because we have 7500km of coast line combined and lots of wind all year around :lol:
But is it really that good? Is it the normal sail kit you use? Or do you use sidekick's to? I must admit it really got my attention :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bjorn,

Is it really that good?...

Well, you need to consider that the sail can only really be used in near perfect conditions (i.e. low wind speeds); this is one of the factors that makes it so enjoyable (no storms or bad weather!) and you need to appreciate that you are not going to be sailing a racing yacht.

Another factor is that, of course, there is the increased risk(challenge) of being capsized which, in the North Sea in winter or summer, may not your ideal way of spending your weekend :-).

Finally, if you are expecting to always be able to use the sail on your cruising expeditions the wind direction on a given day may not work in your favour and in those circumstances pedalling will probably be a lot faster (because you can travel directly to your destination).

That said, The Adventure with the sail kit and daggerboard (no I don't personally use outriggers because they take away part of the challenge and enjoyment for me of sailing a 'proper' yacht) is probably the most entertaining boat I have ever sailed.

Hope this helps!