Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A question from gafchic made me think it might be good to review how one can position the Mirage Drive correctly before tightening the cam lock knobs. As a lot of us have noted over the years, sometimes the Mirage drive has a mind of its own when you are trying to get it inserted correctly in the drive well.

1. First, make certain that you have sufficient water under the keel so that you can align both pedals side by side as you put the Drive into position. The fins/sails will then be pointing straight down. I usually do this standing in about 2 feet of water next to the boat before I get in. But if you are doing a surf launch, or are in deeper water, it is still easy enough to place the Mirage Drive in the well after you get underway. But ALWAYS keep the Mirage drive leashed to a cleat or eyestrap/padeye somewhere in the boat. The chances are slim that a Drive will come loose from the locked cam lock knobs if you should flip, but if you are carrying it on deck (as during a surf launch or return), why gamble--those babies are expensive!

2. Then tip both aligned pedals forward about 4-6 inches as you get ready to insert the Drive. It will usually drop right into place with the Mirage drive pins in the correct position in the cam lock knob slots.

3. Often a slight fore and aft rocking motion helps, as you place the Drive pins in the cam lock knob slots. Just don't force it, and make sure it is all the way down before twisting the cam knobs to lock it. Also make sure the Pitot tube speedometer holder is forward (unless you want to go in reverse!). Here is the drive in the correct position with both cam lock knobs locked down. You should hear a satisfying “thunkâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:00 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Apalach,

Well done -- that's a great tutorial and well illustrated. You should go into publishing! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey RR,
Thanks--just following your lead! Been enjoying greatly your exploits with the Revo and the BigA(I). The Revo really appeals to me--just wish they could get the weight down to somewhere between the OB and Sport, but without some new hull material, that ain't gonna hoppen I'm afraid.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes, but once its on the water, what difference does it make? Getting it there with your ingenuity should be no problem!

One thing about it -- it felt solid and strong. No dents where I stood, etc.' no flexing when I scooted forward. I really liked that!

I tried to lift one in the showroom but had to to lean over the display mount. It was also fully rigged (drive inserted, etc.) so I got no realistic feel for it at all.

You need to take a demo and prepare to bring your wallet! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great job as always Apalach.

How far are the cam knobs supposed to turn to lock? I just installed the drive well strengthening kit and I'm turning my cams about 1/3 to lock.

Before the kit install I was turning about half way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

matt,
Yep--about 2 clicks for me as I recall--about 1/4 to 1/3 turn. Will vary with how far the bolts are cinched down I imagine. But I have never adjusted mine--just left them as they came from the dealer, since I have heard of folks stripping the threads by being overly aggressive. There is still some play in my cam locks, so they don't seem to be snugged down completely tight against the hull. But, I have not had any problems so far as I know doing it this way over the past couple of years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the post on how to correctly insert the mirage drive. That was helpful as was the first post from Roadrunner. Now I've got another question. Do you recommend inserting the drive while everything is wet? I've been doing it on shore before I launch. Is it easier in the water or at least while the whole area is wet? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey gafchic,
Forgot to welcome you to the Hobie Forum earlier--so welcome!

Not exactly sure why or how you insert the drive on land (I assume you must be turning the boat on its side), or why you would even want to in the first place. Wet or dry makes no difference--you just need enough room beneath the hull to be able to insert the drive with the fins straight up and down. This for me is a lot easier in a couple of feet of water, rather than trying to do it on land where you can get sand, shell, gravel, etc. in the drive mechanism or cams, plus adding unnecessary weight to the boat before you put it in the water.

Of course, once you get the drive locked down in your boat, pulling back on a pedal will put the fins up flat against the hull. However, I always take the drive out before pulling the boat up on the beach just to avoid gettiing junk up in the chain or machinery that might jam up the parts, or at least increase wear. I have had several 2 mm size gravel particles get stuck up around the chain that did not wash out in the normal way with a hose. It took a while before I could figure out what this strange new grinding noise was!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the feedback. I will put it to good use. No reason for putting the drive in before launch. I just didn't know any better. I'll put it in after launch from now on because the kayak sure is lighter without it! Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since I go through the surf much of the time, I've got a theoretical question; would you fumble around inside the breaking waves where the water is kind of rolling in, risking having waves break right on top of you, to install the Mirage drive so you could have the peddle power to punch through bigger outside waves, or stow the drive and paddle(I know you peddling guys/girls don't like to do that) though the surf and put the Mirage drive in outside past where the waves are breaking.
Here's the beach near my shop I launch from. The kayak surfing video Matt Miller made was made here as well:
For reference, the wave that is breaking, is about six feet. The wave outside of it (you can barely see it through the spray) is about eight to ten feet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for asking this question. I have wondered the same as I ponder my first surf launch. The pedals sure would power through the breakers, but how do you get them installed in between the waves? I'm not sure I have enough oomph paddling to punch through a 10 footer :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Uhhh, well, mmmm, Ron, to be honest, I don't think I would fool with the Mirage Drive at all until I got out past the last break. Based on my one surf launch and return in the puny East Coast surf, actually I think I would probably stay home on this day or go fishing off the breakwater! I know, I know, no guts, no glory... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, the waves are usually a little smaller than that, the photo is just for illustrative purposes.
Still, I've seen guys dump all their gear in waves that were knee high, that's less than one foot to us. I usually store ALL my gear below deck on my Quest when going out through the surf, I would probably do the same on a Mirage drive boat. Paddle through the surf, then set everything up. Does the drive fit below deck through the hatch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep--that is my understanding. The Revo is the first, or one of the first, to have the capability of storing the Drive below decks, although it can be done with some of the smaller hatches with a lot of juggling and manipulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Around here we install the mirage drive before going out.

Paddle in hand, climb in and paddle a few strokes, then release the bungee holding the mirage drive crank arm, lower the rudder, and start pedaling (all about at the same time;). It does help to have someone steady you as you climb aboard and get situated on the pedals.

Keep your paddle in hand until out of the surf break, just in case.