Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had a slight mishap and some how bent the front steel rod in the flipper and it pushed through the rubber flipper. Can the steel rod be replaced and can I get a new flipper. I can take the flipper off and I see a set screw that looks like it may release the metal rod but I'm not sure. The two flippers are closer together then before so not sure if they will funtion the same. Any info appreciated.

thanks
jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:45 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Loosen the allenhead screw, extract the bent mast (twist and pull), straighten the mast out in a vise (or any other way, trying not to get it dinged up), re-insert the mast. Snug, but don't overtighten the screw once you make sure the mast is fully seated, with the flat part facing the screw.

Dab a little liquid rubber (or silicon caulk, etc) on the fin hole, remount the fin and it should be as good as new! 8)

Post subject: thanks for the info
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the metal rod is sold seperately, if I have trouble straightening it. I will get some liquid rubber and put that on the fin.
I put our 2 mirage drives in an outfitter and went down the Ipswich river with some friends who took our sports. I will be more careful next time especially with the outfitter because it is heavier and with two people peddaling it seems the fin can be bent more easily if something is hit under water. It's great to have this forum.

thanks
jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Jack,

Your local dealer should be able to order it. You can also request a Kayak Parts and Accessories catalog from Hobie. According to the catalog, the mast part # is 81160001 and the sail (fin) part # is 81190001. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the mast is sold separately... p/n 81160001, $9.95

And you don't really have to take the drive apart to straighten the mast. We regularly "fix" the drives on our demo boats. Set the drive on the ground, front end facing up with the pedals together and the flippers in the "straight down" position. Put your foot on the pedal arms about where the adjusters are. Reach down, grab the bent mast and pull. As long as the masts look pretty close to parallel, you're good to go.

You can do this about a dozen times before the stainless mast gets work hardened and snaps.

You must have been really cruising or hit something sharp to tear a flipper. I don't think we've had a tear in any of our standard flippers.

Brian C

Post subject: bent mast
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brian,

We have two sports but we went out with friends and we put our drives in their outfitter and we took the outfitter. We went down a shallow river and it was a challenge and at times we were going too fast. It must be much easier to bend a mast on the outfitter with the extra weight and power. How much does one of the flippers cost?

jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oof... Yeah, river travel can be treacherous for mirage drives.

Flippers are $19.95

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great advice from roadrunner and brian. I bent the shaft back to it's original position and am going to get some liquid rubber to repair the hole. What a great forum. Thanks so much.

jack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jack8973901 wrote:
Great advice from roadrunner and brian. I bent the shaft back to it's original position and am going to get some liquid rubber to repair the hole. What a great forum. Thanks so much.

jack

I guess we'll be thankful for the muddy lake bottoms around here.

Any particular brand of liquid rubber that works well? A google search came up with a bunch of brands (among other things :shock: ).

Brian C