Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Member Lurking
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tampa Bay Florida area. Interested in the tandem mirage. Don't have one at the moment.

WARNING: Very likely to ask a stupid question.

Looking forward to learning.

Words Of Wisdom From My Old Mentor....

"I never met a man on his deathbed, who wished he had spent more time at the office."

Post subject: Re: New Member Lurking
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome and... Ask away!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

flrider :
There are quite a few Hobies in the Tampa bay area, if you see one at a launch site make sure you come up and talk to any of us. Every weekend you will see a few of us either launching at Ft Desoto boat ramps, or at City Island in Sarasota (Ken Thompson park right next to the Sarasota Sailing Squadron, I'm there most every weekend year round), both are very popular launch sites just to name a few.
The main Hobie dealers in the area are Tackle Shack in St Pete, and Economy Tackle in Sarasota. They both are very knowledgeable and can talk you thru what to look for and help get you get in touch with local clubs and groups like the Hobie Island club ( http://www.hobiecat.com/hobie-island-club/ ) or the Watertribe ( http://watertribe.org/), or Wet dog adventures just to name a few, all are very active and most are active on Meetup ( http://www.meetup.com/).
I think the first place to start is to go into the Hobie dealer and just chat, make sure to ask about local clubs and groups, and outings. Most Hobie dealers have monthly events called demo days. Economy Tackles next demo day will be on the 24th ( http://www.floridakayak.com/index.php/calendar ). You can go to these and try out every type of kayak they have, and talk to experts about which would best fit your needs (that's exactly what we did, it was a blast, and we learned a lot), I'm sure Tackle Shack has the same if you are closer to them, I'm sure there are other dealers in the region, but these are the ones I know. We are extremely happy with our Hobie's, and the Hobie lifestyle especially in Florida where we can go out all year round. It is really something special, and fun.
Good Luck
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bob. Great suggestions.

I've actually been looking around for a while. I did wind up going to Tackle Shack and the owner, Jim, spent some time with me showing me the various models. In the end, I just wound up buying a used 2010 yesterday. The new ones were just too pricey and since they are an exclusive dealer, they weren't very price flexible. I don't blame them.

I was able to get a nicely equipped Oasis and a trailer for less than half the price of a new Oasis comparably equipped.

I did find a group called tampa bay sea kayakers and may drop by one of their events. I will look up the other clubs you mentioned.

We took her out to Ft. Desoto today, for our first run. Spent more time trying to launch her than doing much peddling but I suspect we'll get better and quicker at it with time.

These are pictures the seller sent me before I bought it.

"I never met a man on his deathbed, who wished he had spent more time at the office."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Flrider:
We used to have an Oasis also and loved it. My wife actually prefers tandem kayaking over singles ( she had a revolution) . I suspect but can't prove that she likes tandem so she can pretend to peddle, I ask her are you pedaling, she answers yes, but I suspect she's not. To be honest I don't mind, I enjoy the company.
Have fun with your Oasis they are nice boats.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
Flrider:
I suspect but can't prove that she likes tandem so she can pretend to peddle, I ask her are you pedaling, she answers yes, but I suspect she's not.
Bob

That's hysterical. Our wives must be related.....

I've taken my wife canoeing in the past. Each with our own canoes. She loves it but I spend half my time pulling her out of the mangroves or going around in circles......tandem is good....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

FLrider & Fusioneng , your wives have another sister!! A few months ago my wife and I were out in our Oasis when the sky suddenly turned very dark so we turned around and headed home. As we came out of the last canel and began to head across the lake to the dock there was a huge clap of thunder. I was pedaling as fast as I could when I noticed my wife was just casually pedaling almost like she was half asleep. I said, "do you think you can put a little more gusto in your pedaling?" She laughed and said she wasn't worried about a little rain. I wasn't worried about a little rain either, but I didn't want to be in the middle of the lake when the lightening began to flash.