Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

this is a purchased, august 2007, revolution. any ideas on how to fix this? i did a search, but the threads i found, most had their hull replaced on the cheap or the pictures are no longer working to see if it was the same crack or the fix. uhg, why couldnt this crack happen sooner if it's inevitable...

hope this doesnt happen with my new revo i just got

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Talk to your Hobie dealer. Hobie is very good at extending their warranty. It could cost you a few dollars, but you would end up with a brand new hull with the latest improvements. If not, this is fixable using a small piece of PV pipe or fitting and some West Systems G-Flex or equivalent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The cam column is repairable and you can probably stabilize the other crack as well. In this high stress area I've found only two epoxies that work -- 3M ScotchWeld DP 8010 (and its variant 8010 NS) and Loctite 3030. I've tried the G-Flex and it doesn't take much to pop it loose. Here are my results with Hobie's Polyethylene:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12550

I like Bob's suggestion of making a repair sandwich of PVC halves, filled with epoxy to quickly and neatly apply the mix, as time is of the essence! -- haven't tried it though persoanlly. All your repairs will be inside the hull where you may not be able to see and work at the same time, so good planning cannot be over emphasized and working with sequential small batches prevents premature set-up. Don't skimp on the material -- it has to absorb the structural stress load where the PE failed. It's also a good idea to so both sides -- if one side is cracked, the other is probably not far behind.

Take a look at these notes from past repairs and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33359&p=134475&hilit=#p134475
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33359&p=134482&hilit=#p134482
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11245&p=59882&hilit=d#p59882
8)