Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have a wheeleez beach cart that they use with their Outback?

I understand I would need to also purchase the option rail kit in order to use it with my outback due to hull shape, but I'm worried whether it will fit in my front hatch or not?

If just the wheels (30cm versions) themself fit, does the frame easily fold down for strapping to crate in rear well?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have had several revo's, an Oasis, and several TI's now and find the HD cart with the hard foam black wheels to be the best cart for us. We also have a trax 2 cart with the big grey air filled tires (the smaller ones) but simply never use it. On the TI's we also have that extra platform piece the fits the contour of the hull because the TI is so blinking heavy with the AMA's on, actually I always remove the AMA's and walk them to the water separately. To get the cart in we either flip the boat on its side to insert and remove the cart, or insert and remove in waste deep water. We store the cart in the scupper holes upside down. Without the AMA's the TI is no more difficult to pull than our Oasis was.
We have very soft sugar like sand here and it can be 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk to get to the water from the parking lot. After watching everyone else with their non Hobie kayaks, almost nobody uses any scupper cart at all (only Hobie users). Anymore I walk the boat on the cart thru the parking lot, but then once I get to the sand I remove the cart and either carry the kayak with one in front and one in back, or if I'm alone I just drag the kayak (with no cart) thru the grass and sand (way easier for me), I then carry the AMA's to the water separately (one in each hand).
The HD cart seems to roll way easier thru everything except really soft sand, plus it's easiest to store upside down in the scupper holes. The air filled tires I got tired of having to fill them with the exact amount of air every week, and having to fix holes where sharp sea shells cut into them. Plus they are extremely boyant and difficult to insert and remove in waste deep water, and almost too big to store upside down in the scupper holes without removing the tires (PIA for me anyway).
Hope this helps
Bob
Edit: we only use tandem kayaks anymore, which by nature are always bigger an heavier no matter what type, just our personal preference. Anymore we mostly use our trailer and don't car top much anymore, so we don't use the scupper carts very often anymore. I understand this doesn't answer your questions, I am only describing what has worked well for us, forgoing the big ole beach cart by choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks for your response Fusioneng.

I actually want the Wheeleez beach to deal with some deep soft sand where my ctug is next to useless.

That's why I was looking at the 30cm inflated wheels.

I don't like the idea of a scupper cart, hence not looking at the Hobie Trax, however I'm hoping to find out if the wheels at least will fit in the front hatch of a 2015 Outback, as the carts are quite expensive and I have to order from a retailer in Spain as there is no supplier in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My large Wheelez "Beach" with the 12" tyres fits right into the AI2 hatch np and best accessory I have ever bought, no more holding a heavy prow just push it around like a Pram.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The wheels are 30cm dia (11.8"), if they end up not fitting in the hatch there may be a way to design a cart with square tubing that telescopes in and out mounted to some sort of rail system mounted to the top rail of the boat. With the Z shaped square tubing ends inserted pointed down and pushed in it becomes a wide beach cart. To convert the cart to AMA's you simply pull the square tubing out rotate it 90 degrees, slide the tubing out and it becomes AMA's just above the waterline. Those huge tires have tremendous flotation and if mounted a couple feet out past the outer edge of the hull would prevent any capsize, plus because they are pointed back they would out of the way of any fishing or paddling. The only thing perminantly mounted to the boat itself would be two side by side 1" sq tubes behind the seat mounted to rails on the hull, the 1" tubes would be around the same width as the hull. The two 3/4 aluminum Z shaped rails would the slide in and out of the 1" tubes.
Of course the bottom leg of the Z would have the axle that the wheeleez wheel fits over.
If you find out the wheels do fit into the hatch (I doubt they will), you could remove the wheels from the Z arms and stuff the Z arms into the front hatch followed by the wheels.
Of course if you have no need for AMA's at all, the Z frames could be inserted pointing up, in that position the unit would look like an upside down scupper cart that all of us are very familiar with.
Of course the corners of the Z would need external triangle plates screwed over each side for added strength. By doing it with the triangle plates there should be no need for any welding. To mount the axles into the Z frame lower leg you simply take a 3" long piece of 3/4" sq aluminum tubing fill it with marine epoxy then jam the 1/2" stainless axle into the tube (I would file a couple notches into the axle so it holds once epoxied in). A couple thumb screws in the 1" tubing would hold everything in place. If running in salt water I would clear coat everything before first use.
If the 3/4" aluminum ends up not being strong enough you can always jam in a fiberglass pultrusion rod into the square tubing coated with epoxy (you can get those 3/8 dia x 4ft long orange pultrusion rods for $2 bucks ea at Home Depot or any box store). The whole works shouldn't cost more than $75 bucks or so in aluminum (obviously not including the cost of the wheeleez tires (lol)), and for tools you should only need a hack saw and an electric drill.
Obviously I have not built anything like this, and have no need myself, but am just imagining what I would do and how I would try to solve it.
Best of luck
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have an Outback but I feel sure the smaller Wheelez Beach Cart MINI would fit in it's hatch, you don't need the big cart 30cm wheels for an Outback that is more for heavier boats like the AI.

http://www.wheeleez.com/kayak-cart-mini.php