Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a Quest for fishing my favorite river. It is a limestone base river with class I,II and III's; many butt scoots, boulder gardens and a few drags. This is my 3rd yak; I have 2 Old Town Loons with a sacrificial rear keel that addresses part of this "wear" problem. I spent hours and hours trying to find a way to save my $1300 watercraft and plastic welding seemed to be the only viable solution from the (this) manufacturer. There is another solution, however, that has worked on this linear poly boat. While not a "permanent" one, in that wear will still take place, it has proved to be a better solution over welding on the boat over and over. Old Town sells an epoxy based repair kit that worked well in a repair that I did a few years back. They were out of the kit, on backorder and really expensive ($40 rings a bell) for about a pint of the stuff. A neighbor offered me another solution - a poly based 2 part epoxy mix. With the boat properly prepped and applied, this stuff just kicks butt. If I can save you an agonizing time going through what I've experienced, just let me know. I've written a step by step procedure for this that I'd be happy to email you, complete with pictures of the process.

SIDENOTE: I must admit that after all the research on a new yak prior to purchase that took me 6 months, the interpretation of the fine print at the bottom of the Quest sales page went right past me. Something about "Live Longer, Hobie not intended for use in rapids or heavy surf." The jist of that fine print was "wear a life jacket", not "the boat will wear out". So while I'm pulling my hair out trying to save my investment, the response from Hobie is "didn't you read the fine print?" That is expected from my insurance carrier but wasn't expected from my pleasure craft manufacturer. In Hobie's defense, however, I will add that Matt did send me some plastic strips to weld on. Also, I absolutely love the Quest for my application and fishing pleasure. There are some engineering improvements that could be done to make it a better boat but that's another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like the specifics but I couldn't send a private message. The board said it was disabled. Will try later.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MadCap,

How wide is the river you float? I guess you haven't had any troubles with maneuverability or the boat being too long? I've been considering a Quest for float trips, but I haven't been able to find many reviews of people using them in those kinds of conditions.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Icty - I have really enjoyed the boat. The Devils River in Texas is one of the 2 tributaries of Lake Amistad. The riverwidth is somewhat narrow but bigger than what you're thinking of. The Quest manuevers fine, depending on the rocker. I've purchased two of these and they don't "lay" the same. On one of the two, the front and rear ishigher than the bottom; this boat turns much easier than the "flat" one. Both are fine, however, and unless you have 2, you wouldn't know the difference. Where the river is narrow, you're cookin' anyway so there isn't a whole lot of steering. Just be aware that there IS some fine print at the bottom of Hobie's page that talks about life preservers and includes the words "not made for fast water" or some such. If you buty a Quest, (or any Sit on top I presume), make the necessary preventative measure as described. It'll prove to be a very wise thing to do. The Quest, which I sit in for 3 solid days, is great for fishing out of, with a real good high-back seat. Forget standing in it but it is laid out well. There is an issue with the footpeg system but not big enough to deter me from buying another.

Post subject: contact info
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Normo - I don't instant message. you can email me at [email protected]. I'd be happy to share my step by step plan with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a bunch, MadCap. The Quest is in the running again for a river yak for me.