Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:57 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

This is the second of a two part series. Part I may be viewed here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49342
Part II On the water:

The compact Sports load and stack easily in the truck and will fit in the trunk of some cars:

Hull: The new hull is a huge improvement in refinement -- hull slap and pounding were virtually non-existent in the trial period. Spray from wind and chop was also diminished for a drier ride. The bow still pushes water, but this is to be expected from such a short, boxy hull. With additional internal volume, the seat is higher for a drier ride. The stern also rides higher so the cargo well stays drier. This in turn elevates the rudder lines for less potential water intrusion (rudder lines are "sealed" but not necessarily totally leak proof). Older model shown with water covering rudder and rudder lines:

Cockpit: Everything is easy to use -- trays have improved utility, side pockets are handy for stowing small gear and rudder control positioning is good. Placement of the dual concave lift handles intrude into the cockpit by 2.5"; this was not a problem for me, as they were pretty much under my legs. The only issue I had with them was that I couldn't use them to hang on to while on the water. For boat handling they worked fine though and having two instead of one on the old Sport facilitates better control. One of the small improvements I really like is allowing full drainage from the bottle holders.

The only serious cockpit flaw I found was the shallower footwell. At 5', 10", I use the #7 (full forward) pedal position because of the short cockpit. Unfortunately the reduced footwell interferes with pedaling unless one has pigmy feet. IMO, this limits leg thrust. Here is an illustration -- old Sport:

To get full leg extension with the new boat (same pedal position) one had to use the instep (not comfortable)

or point the toes:

This only poses a problem in the most forward pedaling position. A person with shorter legs who can readjust the pedals closer to any of the other six positions should not have this problem and may find the new Sport to be just as fast as the older boat.

Stability: Initial stability (how tippy the boat feels when you sit in it) feels solid, but not quite as much as the older boat. More importantly, secondary stability (tipping point) is much improved over the old hull -- I would rate it as excellent -- good advance warning and increasing resistance give ample support.

Handling: With the optional large (sailing) rudder, the new Sport responds quickly and turns beautifully -- better than the old Sport (which was also quite good).

Speed: The old Sport is a little faster on sprints (5.6 MPH vs. 5.4 MPH with Turbofins), but cruising speed is similar at about 4 1/4 MPH (Turbofins) fast cruise though.

Paddling: The new Sport tracks satisfactorily with the large rudder and fins down. This boat can also be edged (lean-steered) for small corrections without having to adjust the rudder. As a result, I think the paddling is quite satisfactory, especially for a boat that is designed to be pedaled and maneuvered easily. Rudder down, fins up, the boat wanders a little but still does fine. With the rudder up, the boat has no skeg substitute, and does not paddle well.

One small gripe I have is that it is difficult to get the paddle into and out of the redesigned paddle holder. As noted in Part I, this was changed to facilitate a more consistent mold release by reducing the depth of the paddle shaft groove and shorting the paddle perches. The bungee eyelet is too close to the paddle for easy use. It's not a big deal and not hard to adapt to, but in a size by side comparison, the old Sport paddle holder was easier to use.

Sailing: This boat sailed amazingly well for a 9.5 footer! Less tender (tippy) than my Revo 11 in spite of its shorter length, there was very little weather helm in light to moderate winds. There was also surprisingly very little leeway (sideways slippage) upwind. I went sailing with a longer, sleeker Hobie Adventure with daggerboard and managed to stay essentially even with it in lighter winds. As winds picked up the Adventure's greater hull speed came into play, but still very impressive! The Sport out-tacked the Adventure and had excellent manners and control -- got up to 4.2 MPH in moderate breeze. If you like sailing and understand the limitations of kayak sailing, you will really enjoy this little Sport! Here are some pics from my friend Mike:
Image Image Image

With a couple of small mods, you can take the sail along stowed along side of your boat until ready to use it when the wind comes up -- you just need to pre-rig the mainsheet ahead of time. When done, simply unstep the mast, roll the sail up and stow it along side. Easy after you get the hang of it.
Image Image

Summary: Significant revisions, expanded weight capacity, much more refined and quieter hull should perform better in all water conditions. Size and height limitations apply to this boat, but weight shouldn't be an issue. Hobie should consider updating their capacity specs.

Didn't like: new leg length limitations due to no heel clearance in the full forward pedaling position, grip handles unusable for holding on while on water, paddle rest awkward.

Overall, despite a few shortfalls (IMO), an excellent upgrade. Better capability on the water, more versatile handling, impressive sailing for size. Turbofins and large rudder used and recommended for best handling and performance, and especially if sailing! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a great write-up. Thanks for the excellent in-depth review...

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, can we just call it the "Outback 9.5" now? :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Such a thorough write-up as can always be expected from you Roadrunner!
BTW your review of the Revo 11 was what made me switch to it from the old Sport, and now I find myself wanting to get one of the new Sports! MMiller, send this guy a paycheck lol!

Honestly, now I do not know if I should get a 2014 Outback or a 2014 Outback JR err I mean Sport :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very good write up on the new/redesign Sport hull.
It appears in the photo, the Mirage drive has rubber heel straps....is this your design or a new item from Hobie?

I for one have wide feet and did away with the factory straps 3 years ago for "heel straps" I made out of 1" wide, NRS tie down nylon straps....it's much more comfortable to rest my heels in the strap as I do not "pull back" for more power when using my Hobie.....your reasons too?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Mingle, thanks for the comments.

Gas Yakker and Jcanracer, yes, in a way the new Sport is much like a 3/4 scale Outback, but quieter in the water!

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
It appears in the photo, the Mirage drive has rubber heel straps....is this your design or a new item from Hobie? I made out of 1" wide, NRS tie down nylon straps....it's much more comfortable to rest my heels in the strap....
I agree! I make these out of 1/8" sheet neoprene. Here's an old "How To" if anyone is interested in making some. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31555 Unfortunately the images disappeared when the picture host went out of business, so here are a few pics:
Image Image

Image Image

I can't imagine being without them! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another excellent report/summary by RoadRunner.

Kudos to Hobie for listening to those of us over 50 without King Kong DNA to load and unload Hobies from our vehicles and to launch and retrieve them without a new hernia.

The new Sport should fit easily in the back of my Honda Ridgeline and work well in our local river with tidal and wind impacts. It should be perfect when the tides and wind work out for a quick 5-10 minute trip to the river for a few hours of use and fun.

I'm in week 2 of a 10 to 12 week recovery after some major foot surgery. So next spring, the new Sport might become a new family member.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Most excellent write up...felt like I was there...or something like that... I really like my now way older sports. I can get the 2 in the back of my Titan easily (no racks, trailers...pop them in and then tailgate up and couple bungees)... You got me wound up about a couple new models...Trouble maker!!...My kind of trouble though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just started my savings jar for the 2014 Sport 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day Roadrunner, I sold my original PA14 a while ago as it wasn't getting the use it deserved. I am now looking at getting something so that I can roof top on my Defender, 2050mm to the roof rack. I'm looking at the new Sport and the Revo 11, I'm only 5'8" and 156 lb so either of these should fit like a glove size wise.

Between this new sport and the Revo 11 what has the driest seat. The yak will be primarily used for fishing.

Unfortunately my nearest Hobie dealer does not have demo models and the next demo day is in November :shock: .

Thanks

Mick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Mick, that's a good question. You didn't say where you were fishing (inland water or offshore) but in terms of dryness, the Sport would generally be drier in most situations where boat wake, swell and chop can approach from angles. It has more freeboard just aft of the cockpit where the Revo is more vulnerable. The Revo 11 would be drier moving against wind and chop though with it's finer bow and less tendency to throw spray out (always ends up in your face).

When fishing, the Sport has a small stability advantage when working fish, leaning to net and moving around the cockpit IMO. Those side trays also are handy for holding small tools, bait and lures. For travel and performance, the Revo 11 the clear choice however for speed and seaworthiness.

Once you establish how far you travel to the fishing grounds, general water conditions and fishing style, the choice should be clearer. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Roadrunner, I've fished out of both the Sport (older version) and the Revo11 in offshore and inshore scenarios. It depends on your fishing style/environment.

Sport: Great stability and the side trays are so useful! But since the weight capacity is rated at 225# and I am 205#, I found myself sitting a bit lower in the water than expected when I had my offshore gear with me. You will not have this problem since you are lighter than me. Also the shape of the Sport's bow funneled water into the cockpit when breaking through waves offshore (not an issue inshore). Generally though, the seat area was drier than the Revo11's.

Revo11: Much more weight capacity, which is good because I carry a 5 gallon bucket with live bait when I go offshore, but there is no room on the gunnels for random fishing gear. The side pockets are nice, but I recommend you pack light or make good use of the bow hatch and hatch liner for random odds and ends. The shape of the bow cuts through waves so there is less spray and its faster in a sprint, but the seat definitely puddles. The Revo is a bit more tippy than the Sport but if you get used to it or are already an experienced kayaker, then this point is moot.

Honestly I love both of them. If I could have one of each, I would.
Tell us more about what fishing you will be doing Mick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day guys, thanks for the prompt replies.

The majority of my fishing is estuary/river with maybe a bit of inshore thrown in (I do have a boat as well). There will definitely be no offshore fishing out of the yak, too many toothy critters here :D All of my fishing is lure hard/soft. There might also be some freshwater lakes/impoundments/small streams thrown in as well depending on holiday locations.

I think I was spoilt having the PA with its high seat/comfort/stability and it served its purpose well, plus I had it on a trailer, but this kayak will definitely be for putting on the roof rack and taking travelling with us as well as used at home when the boat stays in the shed.

The PA is the only Hobie kayak I have even pedalled (I have a Pungo 120 paddle yak) and since I have read things about the seating position in other Hobie models having a wet seat (sitting in a puddle) hence the reason for my post.

I have noted the weight capacity difference and I do like to take at least 2 rigged rods in the yak. I had actually thought that the Revo 11 was going to be the one to get until I saw this post on the new Sport, I like the fact that the Sport is ready to take a transducer and as mentioned the storage around the cockpit as well as the added stability. But then the performance and sleek lines of the Revo is nice.

I might have to travel further afield and see if there are any dealers with demo stock to trial...........

Mick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Based on your size, portability needs and fishing style, I think you'd be very happy with the new Sport.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We'll, I drove the nearly 600kms yesterday and today tested a '14 Sport. We'll Very impressed, I trialled it with turbo fins and it goes great. I was very impressed with everything about it, the cockpit was nice and dry, the water level was about 40mm or so below the top of the drive well with me in the boat, this was one of the things I was concerned about.

Another nice bonus was I could actually stand in the boat, maybe not stable enough to fish from but we will see, but definitely stable enough to stand and stretch and have a look around!

I was that impressed I didn't even bother testing the revo 11 as this suits what I want it for perfectly, fishing.

So the boat has been purchased in Ivory dune with turbo fins and sailing rudder.

So I'm back in the Hobie fold :D

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mick