Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My local dealer, the Wilderness Way, here in Tallahassee, just got their new shipment of 32 Hobie yaks. Just in time as it turned out, since they had been out of Mirage Drive models for about two weeks now. Included in the shipment were the two that I was most interested in: the brand new Revolution and the new 2007 Outback. For those of you out there in “Aâ€

Last edited by Apalach on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice job, Apalach. You continue to set a high standard of care and clarity that is a great contribution to the community. Thanks.

Post subject: Good Job
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the great rundown Apalach :wink:
Im with DW and Punchy though..and would prefer the sleek looking ultra fast big AI . I too prefer the fanny pack style bag on the seatback and cram a ton into mine. However on my tandem we can not use the front seat fanny pack because I wind up smashing the crap out of it with the pedals when it is attached to the back of the front seat while underway. Fortunately there is plenty of room for tons of gear on board already.
The new hatches look like they seal up nice and tight with the threaded "T" handle latches and my only concern is what happens if the hinge somehow breaks. Do the hatch hinges look sturdy enough to last if they get stepped on or kicked inadvertently in some blond moment..? :lol:
Although its hard to tell if the hull is straight and dent free from a photograph, I really like the new improved hull bottom design with the distinct channels/ stiffer ribs. It seems this would be less prone to flexing and maunfacturing deformation, dents, waves and whoop-tee-doos in the hull bottom shape. I have no issues with my current seats either so would have to try the news ones as well. Are those plugs on the rails in the cargo area behind the seat rod holders or are they designed for the sidekicks..? Also it does not appear as though the large square front hatch and round rear hatch would be easy to reach while out on the water unless you can drag your knuckles while walking upright :wink: However the storage looks ample for most all applications. Im sure the seat hatch, side pockets and luggage rack will do the job for all the gear you need to reach close at hand. All in all it looks like a great boat and Im sure they will be big movers. Thanks again for the fantastic review. Hobie needs to hire you and Punchy and Roadrunner as "contract" testers on all new models.. :wink:
-kepnutz-

Last edited by kepnutz on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Outstanding review! Great detail. I hadn't noticed the extra pad-eyes for the seat. The unused pair could also serve as tether/lanyard anchors. I was surprised to see the cleat and thought it would get in the way. It seems to be well placed though for whenever someone might need one.

Let me join the chorus regarding the seat mounted coin purse. The new one is probably very handy -- if you're going shopping in your boat, but is totally impractical if you have gear to stow. I also depend heavily on my large pouch for all my gear and encourage Hobie not to throw away precious storage space for a shopping purse!

Thanks for the info on the camera. I've been wanting to get a water proof camera and will check out the Pentex. Also noticed your little "buoy" for it -- great forethought!

Dick, we'll be anxiously awaiting your water trials for the Revo and the Outback -- am especially curious how the Outback handles with its new bottom! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great review.

Ditto on the camera. I have a WPi and it is fantastic. over 20 preprogrammed modes with the ability to change exposure and lots of other stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie factory is right down the road from me and one of their best dealers is nearby, so I might have to have a look at this Revolution. Perhaps I can get the Hobie guys to go out fishing with me, but I've asked before and they are always busy. You have to keep in mind we play with these things, but for the Hobies, it's their job. I can tell all Hobie owners that the people who make your boats are a hard working crew.
Huge factors for an ocean fisherman going through surf; all gear must fit below deck. At least two seven foot rods/reels have to fit. A front hatch with easy access at sea is a must. The shape of the front hatch shows Hobie has paid attention to user feedback here. Keep in mind a fishfinder transducer might be gooped below deck somewhere. Live bait tank; looks like the five gallon special will go behind the seat.
One thing none of you may have noticed. Those side storage wells with the netting over them used to dump water all over my shorts when I lifted my kayak on the truck racks. On the Revolution, there is a drainage channel. It may not mean much to most people, but when I'm heading out on a hot date after a day of kayak fishing, I don't need soggy shorts.

Post subject: Revolution
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron,
You are right. Soggy shorts=no action with the ladies! :) I tried the Revolotion out and it is fast! It is a nice kayak for sure!

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great review of these two "yaks" look forward to your "on water" review.

Post subject: Iz dat a pha-nid pa-k?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Roadrunner wrote:
Let me join the chorus regarding the seat mounted coin purse. The new one is probably very handy -- if you're going shopping in your boat, but is totally impractical if you have gear to stow. I also depend heavily on my large pouch for all my gear and encourage Hobie not to throw away precious storage space for a shopping purse!

Follows is the an in-house description as to why we changed to the smaller bag... which by the way, does expand if you unzip the outer zipper all the way around.

<<it is not designed for big gear, it’s for keys, wallet, snack, etc...the big gear should go into a hatch, dry bag, under bungee, etc...if the new pak was any bigger, it would be getting in the way of seat adjustment and restricting what you can put in the cargo area behind the seat....>>

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day to everyone from downunder. Australia :)

I have been reading the reports of the Revolution--and WANT ONE !--I have an OB and love it.

So went to my local Hobie dealer and they don't know what I am talking about--but then again they don't even know what "Turbo Fins" are either ! or a larger rudder. They only know about the "Outback or the Adventurer" :cry:

Hey Matt when are we going to get some down here ?