Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt and all,

Really bummed to find a leak in the front part of the rear drive well of my Oasis tandem; I need to repair the leak and, from what I can judge, probably reinforce the internal structures as well. Eager to find a solid solution to the leak problem so that I can get back out on the water, thanks,

mcmozur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Photos?

Plastic welding is always an option.

If within 4-5 years old... file a warranty claim with a dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, while I don't believe it is defective drive well engineering, I too have a leak in the front of my rear drive on my tandem. It's a Mirage. I bought it used, so I don't have the history. We used it three times with no issues. Then it began to leak. I believe it is at the very, very front where to two yellow pieces (the yellow oval and the deck) weld together. Two questions:
1. Is the black drive housing supposed to be 'glued' to the yellow top oval?
2. Do you have any recommendations on how I repair this leak in this very tight spot? Should I simply squirt as much glue into the area, replace the black housing before it hardens, and hope for the best?

Here's some images:
The Kayak:

Gap between yellow oval and black housing. should this be glued?

The Drive Well with the leak.

Location of leak between yellow oval and yellow deck

Location of the leak is at the very front of the opening, but it's hard to access.

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would take it to a dealer and let them provide help for the repair, or make contact with Hobie for a warrenty issue... Let the pros do their jobs for you. HObie is a great company and stand behind their products and the dealer is the only way to get to Hobie in most cases. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BrontideRob :
Is it possible that the seam that you are showing is not intended to be water tight???. I know on the rest of Hobies Mirage boats the inside of the boat (passenger area) is not intended to be dry (big hole in the bottom for the mirage drive on the hard hull versions). Your air bladders filled with air are I'm assuming air and water tight, (assuming all your air bladders are intact and working properly).
I don't own an inflatable (but wish I had one), and don't know how they function, but just at a glance from an outside observer, I suspect that joint is not intended to be water tight (I'm probably wrong).
I'm sure Hobie will clarify how it's supposed to work.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't believe the seal that holds the drive is intended to be air or water tight. I think it is just to hold the drive 'fixed' in place. I just looked at a new one in a store and it is very well attached.

However, the center bladder is intended to be air tight and the loose drive has worn a hole at the front of that area. I'm look to solve both the hole and the drive motion in order to avoid a future leak.