Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

And when were they added to the Revolution 13??

From my understanding, the Revolution added them "mid-year" of the 2012 cycle. So if one is about to buy a 2012 Revolution 13, there's a 50-50 chance that he could or couldn't have the scupper reinforcements, correct?

A guy that's selling one texted me an image, and I'm trying to determine if it's got the reinforced scupper holes...

Are you able to tell from the following image, or will you need to see another shot? Or is there an already existing image that compares a before and after shot?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is a plastic tube insert that goes down the scupper hole. If it is there you will know it :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doctorbuzz:
Looking at the pic it doesn't look like the scupper re-enforcement is in the Revo in the pic. It's a black plastic tube that is slid in, and at least on the TI you can clearly see it from the top.

However all is not lost, if you have a choice of getting a 2012 Revolution 13 at a good price, I would jump on it if the boat is in good condition (looks very nice in the pic), "make sure you leak test it though".

Now if you have a choice of getting this boat or paying an extra large sum to get a new or newer one I would get this one if it were me and go to this thread where I figured out how to add cheap and easy scupper re-enforcement to any of Hobies Kayaks.

Read thru this topic viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35341

It takes all of 15 minutes to add the PVC tubes, and will save your hull in the event of a miss installed scupper cart. Hobie liked the idea so much they are incorporating into all their boats that need it. I installed these tubes into all of my Hobie kayaks except my latest 2012 TI (which already has them installed from the factory). Pretty good assurance against catastrophe for a buck or so and 15 minutes of your time.

Since writing the above post I discovered at Lowes another grade of PVC pipe (not class 40) with a thinner wall thickness ( I've used it on some other stuff), If you thinking about adding the tubes, you might check that type of pipe out as well ( I don't know the class).

As a side note:
Since I would guess around 2011 forward, I suspect that Hobie figured out a way to make the wall thickness on the scupper holes thicker (maybe by using some special cores in the mold (just speculation on my part)). So the re-enforced tube trick may not be as necessary on newer boats as it was on some of the older boats (especially the older Adventures). If you take a flashlight to some of the older hulls, you can see how thin the material was around the scupper holes used to be (it appears much thicker on newer hulls). I'm pretty sure even without the re-enforcing tubes, you won't have a problem with a 2012 Revolution 13 hull, as Hobie has learned a lot and really knows their stuff now days when it comes to roto-molding (they are quite expert at it). Besides if it were to fail, chances are Hobie will cover it, they are very very good in that way.
They have also improved on there scupper cart designs quite a bit, turning what used to be a big problem (yrs ago) into a non-issue.
Hope this helps
Bob