Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Because I often get questions about this, I'm going to try to answer an ice chest/cooler question premptively before I get one! As some of you know, I like the very handy Igloo 25 quart marine cooler--marine because it has all SS fittings. These are available from West Marine and Boater's World, among other places. It also small enough to fit most kayaks without taking up a lot of space. I lugged my cooler back down to my local dealer, the Wilderness Way, earlier today to finish up "the rest of the story."

The Revolution
Here is a view looking forward showing the new 2007 Revolution's rear deck area and the 25 quart Igloo cooler.

I have added the AFi Tournament rodholder (from West Marine/Boater's World) to the rear of this cooler, as described previously.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2428

Note the hull built-in rodholders, each with a PVC extender, shown to either side of the cooler. These extenders are made from 1.25 inch diameter PVC pipe that was described in a previous post also.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1389

You will note in this closer view that the Igloo cooler fits reasonably well in the rear deck of the Revo-not the glove-like fit of this cooler in the Hobie Sport, but close enough. All yak coolers need to be lashed down IMHO, and some more so than others. I was glad to see that Hobie apparently took this cooler into consideration in the design of the rear deck of the Revolution and the new Outback, as they did even more so in the design of the Sport . However, they did not do this in the design of the Adventure last year, and this cooler has to be installed lengthwise there, rather than athwartships, as you see here.

For lashing these coolers down, I use small 5/32 inch diameter, 10 inch long Sta-Put marine bungees with SS fittings. These are tied with an overhand knot to a SS shackle attached to the cooler's external fittings.

I should add that I mainly use this cooler for carrying gear while underway. I have a cooler bag from Sam's Club for storing fish when I don't release them. Next is a view of the Revo rear deck area showing the Igloo cooler and the newly supplied Hobie 8 x 14 inch dry bag that fits nicely into the 8 inch hatch that you can see here.

The New 2007 Outback
Here is the brand new 2007 Outback looking aft, with the seating area in the foreground. The Igloo 25 quart cooler sits very nicely on the rear deck of the OB with room to spare, as you can see.

Here is the same cooler looking forward from the stern. Again, you can see this cooler fits perfectly in the 2007 Outback. The bungee cords are not shown attached in these two pics, and will probably require an extra set of more forward padeyes in the gunwale tackle tray.

Post subject: Revo vs. outback
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What was your general impression of the two? Were you able to take either out for a test ride? I plan on fishing the Flint, Ochlockonee, Seminole, Talquin, Aucilla, St Marks, Econfina, flats etc. I plan on installing your outrigger design for standup fly fishing. Is that feasible on the Revo.? Would I need to install additional rod holders forward of the seat for trolling on the Revo? Given the added stability of both kayaks due to outriggers would I be better off with the speed of the Revo or the space and manuverability of the outback. If you were putting in at the Aucilla and planning to fish the rock garden which would you prefer? Is that distance require a faster kayak? How long would that take you in your outback?

Post subject: forgetaboutit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sorry- no need to answer, just read your outback review, will test both once wilderness starts renting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hunt,
They already have the yaks in their rental fleet. The 2007 OB went out and returned yesterday, just before I took my pics.

Good qustions though about the layout on the boats. The first thing I would do would be to add RAM rocket launcher rodholders forward on the Revo as I did on the Sport. For me, having rodholders forward where I can see them is important for trolling--also kept me from losing my best boat rod and Shimano Baitrunner reel recently!

Here are a couple of pics of the Sport showing this.

Good luck.
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Apalach for your continued efforts in keeping "us" informed.

Where on the Revo can you attach the Ram's?

I went back and checked your other post and see a couple of options. Close to the netting and a little further forward.

Which would you recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey due,
That's a very good question, and one that I haven't resolved as yet. From what I can see without actual measurements, the round base for the large RAM balls may be too large. I think they make a narrow base ball also, but I need to look into that further. However, in checking my pics, it looks as if Hobie cleverly expanded the gunnel just aft of the large forward hatch for just this purpose--mounting electronics, possibly outriggers, and the like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there the possibility of somehow fabricating something to fit inside the 2 molded rod holders on the Revo for the outriggers ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hunt,
I would think so. Punchinello did just that on his Sport as I recall, while J.J. used a strap arrangement that required only a narrow backing plate inside the hull. Here's a link to J.J's post over on KFS. Look under the KFS Sailing Forum for Punch's posts.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 1621025862

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apalach: This is the first time that I have ever attempted to contact someone on any forum or message board...so I hope this message is received.

First of all, thank you very much for your EXCELLENT description and photos of the igloo cooler that you modified and placed behind the seat on your Hobie kayak. I thought that your use of the cooler with the added rod holder was a great idea!

I bought my Hobie Outback Fisherman kayak in October 2005. I usually stuff one of my smaller tackle boxes behind me while fishing. As soon as I read your igloo cooler post I went out and bought a 25 quart cooler as well as the AFI (one piece) tournament rod rack.

However, when I checked on the fit of the cooler into the space behind the seat I couldn't quite fit the Igloo cooler into this area?? The cooler seems to be just slightly too large to drop into this area. It is quite frustrating since the 25 qt. cooler is almost a perfect fit...maybe a 1/2 inch or so too large.

Any thoughts on this? Is this an incorrect size cooler for a (2005) outback fisherman?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Peter,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum! You're right--the Igloo will not fit in the deeper well portion of the OB after deck. What I did was insert a plastic tackle/gear box in the well. This allows the Igloo to ride quite nicely on top of this box behind the seat with no tilting. The Flambeau tackle box from Wal-Mart fits in this well perfectly, and that is generally what I use. Here is one of my earlier posts dealing with this. Note that you can use one of the Plano waterproof tackle/gear boxes in this space, as well.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... t=flambeau

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

O.K. I am 100% completely impressed and amazed at the extent of the discussions/topics on this Hobie Forum site!! Specifically, the detail (photos, etc.) that you have provided on many varied issues is unbelievable. Your ideas are beautifully implemented and extremely innovative.

I ordered the Flambeau box as well as the Plano box today and will try them both out in my Hobie Outback Fisherman as soon as they arrive. [I will be referring back to your original discussion on securing the Igloo cooler within the kayak.]

Again, thanks for all the info. you have provided. I will be frequently reading the topics within the site and look forward to gaining insight and ideas!

Thanks again.

Peter