Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish in some areas where there is a steep incline I have to go down to reach the shore.
I have the kayak carrier w/ the larger wheels so going down isnt too bad, but uphill is an effort.

I was thinking about mounting a winch on my vehicle.

Does anyone have any other ideas ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have found that you don't need a winch to load a kayak or small boat, it's all angles and technique. But strength training will add a world of improvement. It has made a world of difference for me as I had stayed out of the gym for several years due to a tear in my biceps tendon (chronic SLAP tear). I have been going steady since July and it has made loading and unloading and the the overall kayaking experience 10x better.

I do load my PA14 directly to my trailer from very steep inclines and I did find it quite difficult before I figured out the technique (the boat is a beast). Sometimes, I use one of my cam-buckle straps to hold the PA in place to keep it from sliding when one end is on the trailer and the other is not. I'll try and get some photos/videos in the coming weeks of what works for me.

Last edited by Wndrfl on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After surgery 2 years ago, I still have back pain from hauling my 150# AI around in heavy sand and I'm not giving up on sailing, period. So anything you can do to keep from getting hurt and better yet, if there's something you can do to make it fun- all the better. I bought these wheels recently, but I thought this was a cute idea.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzYckq6_ipw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use a two step process.....

1. With your gear equally distributed, place the cart in the forward scuppers under the seat (center balanced).
2. Use a pull rope with a water skiing handle.

Other suggestions I have seen are a come along style setup with a double pulley style system but the challenge may be how to secure it to your vehicle in order for the pulley's leverage to be completely effective.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you using a hobie cradle or a scupper-hole cart?

If the latter, I would worry about tearing a scupper tendon, as much as my own...

This subject has been broached many times. Lots of options, like blocks and winches, and tarps to consider. And technique.

Check these ideas out, for example:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=44619&hilit=steep+beach+hill+incline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's the latest. It works pretty well but the bunks are a bit wide. It easily handles sand and I just drive my AI up into a utility trailer. It never comes off this cart unless it's in the drink. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That stand is the Cats Meow. I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The stand is making me dizzy. Something is just not exactly right. :-)
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FlyFish....that's a common problem when someone with a Apple device sends a photo to a non apple device......why can't they fix the "image rotation problem"?
Oh, maybe the photo originated from "down under"....:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The v shape in the front allows me to pull the kayak up without too much of a fight from either the bow or stern. It's high enough so the amas don't rub the wheels and once it's on, it's easy to clean and repair. It still needs a riding toy motor and remote. I may swap with beach tires so I can submerge it. It's the 4th generation. Buying Hobie's most expensive cart would have been much cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I damaged my knee pulling an Outback up at 10 yard 15 degree slope. I switched over to using a power winch from Harbor Freight. I bought the one that has a 10 foot remote control, so I can keep an eye on the kayak as it comes up the grade. The problem is that if the winch is on the flat at the top of the grade it is possible the bow of the kayak will drag when being pulled up due to the shallow angle. I use a two wheel Hobie mini kayak cart to lift the bow when using the winch. Just not worth wrecking your body when there is an easier solution. I believe West Marine sells a device that allows you to attach the winch to a trailer hitch, so you won't have to point the vehicle front first on the ramp. In my case the ramp is part of my waterfront property so I have the winch mounted on a pole mount and it is 110 volt for house current.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We went kayaking in a lake somewhere in Michigan, I can't remember which lake (we've been to hundreds). They had a steep incline about 100 ft down (around 20-25 degrees) down to the lake. The hill was grass covered. Getting the kayaks down there was no problem, so we went for it, and launched hoping while we were out we might spot a better place to take the kayaks back out (we had a Revo 13 and an Oasis (pretty heavy). Well long story short we never found a better way out, so we had to get the kayaks back up the hill.
We ended taking the wheels off the kayaks and pulling them up the hill with the anchor line tied to the bow, and to the back of the car, then drove the car 100 ft forward, it worked great, and we didn't have to buy anything. I suppose if it wasn't grass we could have put a blanket under the boat to protect it from rocks, but hey it worked just fine.

Also when we are at Florida beaches with super fine white sand (like Siesta Key Beach or Lido beach), it is nearly impossible to drag our kayaks thru the powder soft sand with any type of wheels, we have tried the wheel-eez grey air filled tires, and it is still extremely difficult in this super soft sand. What I do is remove the wheels and with one on each side we just drag the kayak thru the soft sand. It's actually easier to just drag the kayak than trying to pull with any type of wheels especially thru beach grass.
We have had 7 or 8 Hobies now, when we had the first few we were very careful about not wanting to scratch the bottoms, anymore, the bottom of the boat is the least of our worries, they are going to get scratched up, I don't worry about it, I just have fun. I honestly cannot tell any difference in speed with a clean bottom or scratched bottom, if there is a difference, I can't tell.
I do try to clean up the bottoms once or twice a year, they are pretty easy to clean up, and if you have one of those Hobie plastic welders (available from Hobie, and not very expensive) just repair the big gouges, and don't worry too much about the rest. The hull bottoms are as much as 3/8 of an inch thick in some places, and in a lifetime you are not going to wear thru them.
If I were to pull my Hobie up a steep incline, I would definitely remove the scupper cart, and just drag the hull up with my car on the anchor line, but that's just me. ( I have wrecked several hulls with those stupid scupper carts)
But then again that's just us.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I regularly fish out of an Oasis, and my usual launch spot has a steep hill between the parking lot and the launch spot. Pulling that loaded Oasis up the hill is quite a chore. I was talking to a PA14 owner, and he told me pushed his boat up the hill - just like pushing a wheelbarrow. I took his advice and found it to be much easier than pulling. I tuck the bow under an armpit and grab the bottom with my hand and start pushing. For the record, I use a Hobie heavy duty scupper cart - the one with the foam-filled wheels. I am very happy with that cart.