Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2011 Revo and I am having a problem with my mirage drive locking in. After I drop the mirage drive in and start to pedal, it will just push the mirage drive forward. It seems like the drum shaft is just sliding and not locking in, if that makes any sense. I have to drop it in at just the right angle for it to lock properly. Sometimes I have to try 10 times just to get it to lock. I have multiple hobies and have been using them for years, so I know it's not a user error. Can anyone tell me what the problem is or how I can fix it? Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

You may be tipping the drive forward when installing. The front is not resting on the forward ledge. Maybe you have the pedals adjusted well back and as you hold the drive by those pedals... the drive spine hangs tipped forward?

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12836

or...

If you have the latest drive with alignment pins... and the boat is made without the slots for them... the drive may not drop all the way in.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=46677

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the response. I didn't have the problem at first, and I have tried 2 sets of mirage drives with the same issue. It goes in first time, every time with my outback. I do have the v2 mirage drive. I'm 6' 2" so the pedals being forward and tilting shouldn't be the issue. Maybe I just need to take it in and have someone look at it.

mmiller wrote:
You may be tipping the drive forward when installing. The front is not resting on the forward ledge. Maybe you have the pedals adjusted well back and as you hold the drive by those pedals... the drive spine hangs tipped forward?

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12836

or...

If you have the latest drive with alignment pins... and the boat is made without the slots for them... the drive may not drop all the way in.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=46677

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have 3 Hobies and of the 3, my Revo is the only one that has this problem... I've found that a liberal coating of slippery stuff, like spray silicone cures the problem, also don't wham it in... friend borrowing it was nearly driving it through the hull... little finesse and it goes right in..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know you may have already check this, but a very small rock in the bottom of the slot can do the same effect. Sometimes it takes a flashlight to see the very small pebble. Check the locking device again. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Since I have a 2011 Outback which has guide slots molded into the hull, will the new 2015 Hobie miragedrive with Glide Technology fit and work properly in my older kayak, if and when I need a replacement drive?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 am 
Site Admin

LAMEDUCK wrote:
Since I have a 2011 Outback which has guide slots molded into the hull, will the new 2015 Hobie miragedrive with Glide Technology fit and work properly in my older kayak, if and when I need a replacement drive?

GT is the same spine and fit, no problem. If a boat is older and does not have the guide slots molded-in, you simply cut the pegs off.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)