Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: revo 13 rudder issue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi guys

having an issue with my revo... yesterday I was unable to lift the rudder using the up line...
Today i sprayed some lubricant onto the rudder area, and was able to lift it - but it required both hands an a fair bit of strength to do. any suggestions on what the problem might be and how i might fix it?

Post subject: Re: revo 13 rudder issue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm gonna guess it's not a brand new bost, but I just picked up a new Sport which behaved in the same manner. I found my up lne was sandwiched between the 2 halves of the hatch rings from the factory... but I might guess your problem might be resolved differently. Did you try and loosen the center cam nut as per the FAQs?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a really poor answer but I had a problem with being able to put the rudder up after a hard grounding on my 2008 Revo with a lever. Once I got it up to land, I couldn't get it down for anything. I tried loosening the adjustment nut but no joy. I finally called my shop and he suggested I "jiggle the cords" from the inside. I did that and it worked. I don't know what was hung up or exactly what I did to un stick it. The shock of the hard hit had flipped the cord somewhere it wasn't supposed to be and the jiggling had moved it back to where it would work. Not a great answer but my experience. Your milage may vary.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine was doing the same thing.... I loosened the center cam nut and hammered it with silicone spray and kept working the rudder by hand, it took a few cycles but it started loosening up and has been fine every since. I now flood it with silicone every time I come back from a trip and seems to be fine. Hope that helps...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have two revolution 13 kayaks and once hull was replaced with the up down line configuration.

I have had to loosen the cam screw a few times. Seems over time it has a tendency to tighten and make it difficult to raise the rudder.
Back the nut off a little and it usually fixes the problem. Secondly make sure your up line is released from the cleat before raising the rudder.

Check your lines inside and make sure they are not snagged on anything as Duncan49 mentioned.

Revo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks guys...adjusting the screw and plenty of lubricant did the trick