Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: kayak registering
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Joel_T wrote:
Leroy wrote:
joel_T, so you didn't have to show any paperwork, just the hull number?

I filled out the 1 page OSMB (Oregon State Marine Board) title and registration request form that only asked for the HIN. No MSO or other extra paperwork was required. I hope that's it anyway ....I haven't recieved anything back yet. I'll post back when I get it....I'd imagine next week some time.

I got back a request (from the Oregon State Marine Board) for "An original Manufacturers Statement or Certificate of Origin, (MSO) that was provided at the time of purchase."

I got no such thing and called my dealer explaining. They didn't understand either and said they'd contact Hobie. Meanwhile I called the state and asked if a picture of the HIN would work and they said yes.

My dealer did call back and said Hobie was sending them something they had to sign and then forward to me.

It depends how itchy I get whether I wait for the MSO or just mail in the HIN picture.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joel_T If the Oregon State Marine Board will accept your photo of the Hobie serial number, I would follow that path now.
But, I would still get the MSO from your dealer.......it's simple and then you will have the full paperwork concerning legal ownership of your kayak.
It costs nothing for the MSO......IMHO, some of the dealers seem to be lazy in finalizing the paperwork at the time of sale....they should automatically furnish the buyer the MSO along with the sales receipt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Leroy:
In Florida after getting pulled over and told I had to register my kayak (because it was over 16 ft long, I was planning to add the motor anyway so I didn't complain), when I tried to register my TI it took me 3 months to get it all registered, I kept going back to the tag office trying every way I could to skirt around the fact that I didn't have the MSO document, the dealer had no idea what I was talking about and had never had anyone try to register their kayak before. Finally they called Hobie and the document was sent to the dealer after many attempts.
I suspect my circumstances were special because it was a 'new' boat purchase I'm sure they were much more strict than if it had been an old used kayak with unknown history. Basically they would not allow me to register the boat as home built or recovery, I had to have the MSO document, we even called the main state office in Tallahassee and argued with them over the phone several times ( the DMV people in Sarasota called them, 'not me').

To be fair, when I bought my 3D TI last year I knew what to ask for at the dealer (If buying a new boat or kayak make sure you have the HIN number written on the sales receipt, and ask for the MSO document before you take delivery of the boat (that document is critically important on any new boat purchase (even a kayak), if you ever want the chance to be able to register the boat. I found out first hand it's impossible to regiater a boat or kayak without the MSO in Florida on a new 'purchased from a dealer' boat, I'm not sure about used boats.

Hopefully you ordeal will go much smoother than mine did.
Good luck
Bob

Dr.SteelheadCatcher:
I agree with your statement, I'm sure the dealers are just being lazy about supplying proper documentation on kayaks since I'm sure it's only a small percentage ever get registered. But then again 3 yrs ago no one had seen a trolling motor on a kayak either....now you see them all the time

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did get my kayak registered today here in Florida. I took a picture of the boat one of the hin # and one of the name plate. she asked for a bill of sale i said i got it on craigslist and i have no idea were the guy is to get one. she looked at me kinda lost so i said ive heard online that some states register a used kayak as a homemade or found vessel so thats what she did( homemade) and said to take the hin# off the boat because i have a new #. In the list of types of vessels for her to choose from the only one that was close was conoe, there wasn't kayak in the list so im guessing its a conoe now according to the state of fl. Fine with me. im suppose to get a title in the mail: Cool.
allready put the numbers on and the sticker.
I was very supprised how easy it turnned out to be knowing all the crap this state has put me through in the past. i guess it was my turn,"thank you Jesus"

thank you every one for your input into this issue
Leroy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Joel_T If the Oregon State Marine Board will accept your photo of the Hobie serial number, I would follow that path now.
But, I would still get the MSO from your dealer.......it's simple and then you will have the full paperwork concerning legal ownership of your kayak.
It costs nothing for the MSO......IMHO, some of the dealers seem to be lazy in finalizing the paperwork at the time of sale....they should automatically furnish the buyer the MSO along with the sales receipt.

Yes, I intend on doing just that. I'm not have the lengthy experience here in Oregon that Bob did in Florida though. My phone calls were returned promptly by both the state and my dealer, as well as swiftly handled through Hobie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It took 3 trips to the DMV in NJ to get our TI titled and registered. Make sure that the name(s) bill of sale are an exact match to the id of the person or persons under which the boat will be titled. Our bill of sale had both my and my wife's name on it, but they used her nickname instead of her given name. We had to get a new bill of sale. Then we both had to be present at the DMV to get it jointly titled (again because both of our names were on the bill of sale). The dealer also had to have the certificate of origin renotarized because the first stamp was on a part off the certificate that got torn off by the DMV. I practically danced my way out of the DMV when I finally left with the registration in hand.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk