Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatch for 2002 Outback
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just recently got an old Hobie Mirage Outback (2002 according to the serial number), but it's missing all the hatches. There appear to be 3: 1 in the front, 1 where the seat goes, and 1 in the back. I've been searching around and it looks like an 8" would go up front (I think), a 5" under the seat, but I can't find anything on the back one which is larger than anything I can find pertaining to Hobie Mirage kayaks.

My question is how are the measurements supposed to be taken? So for the 8" hobie twist and seal, is that from the inner most measurement or outer most? Also, does Hobie have anything larger than an 8"?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Odd one. I would be cautious... Removed hatches are missing lids or complete hatches with flanges? Removed completely would indicate another possible issue. Warranty replaced hull? May have other damage.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Odd one. I would be cautious... Removed hatches are missing lids or complete hatches with flanges? Removed completely would indicate another possible issue. Warranty replaced hull? May have other damage.

The front and back ones were removed completely. The smaller one under the seat is just missing the lid. I'm not sure of the history behind it, I got it as a hand-me-down. There is a crack in the hull which appears to be at the base of where the sail mast connects to the hull, which I was planning on repairing. There are other things needing repair, as you can probably see from my other post. It's missing the rudder and the mounting hardware, but I can find all those pieces online. It's also missing the cam lock knobs. I can find the knobs online, but not the bolt.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nuprin wrote:
mmiller wrote:

The front and back ones were removed completely. The smaller one under the seat is just missing the lid. I'm not sure of the history behind it, I got it as a hand-me-down. There is a crack in the hull which appears to be at the base of where the sail mast connects to the hull, which I was planning on repairing. There are other things needing repair, as you can probably see from my other post. It's missing the rudder and the mounting hardware, but I can find all those pieces online. It's also missing the cam lock knobs. I can find the knobs online, but not the bolt.

Be wary if it has a crack near or around drive slot as that could be effectively terminal, with any repairs only temporary, and anything spent fixing other issue may end up being a waste.