Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I just bought a new Hobie Outback and would like to use my Yakima Mako Saddles, but looking at the bottom of the outback it doesn't look right. bottom of kayak looks very flat. Has anyone else used the Mako saddles on their Hobie Outback?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Mako saddles will bend/curve (bottom down) to fit your Outback....just adjust the final spacing once the Outback is on the roof rack.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a set of Mako saddles and rollers. The rollers looked fine to me but the saddles just looked like i was going to have to flex them a lot to get them to work. I was real worried about breaking them. They are only plastic and didn't look all that strong. Plus my truck is very tall and this new Hobie is a lot heavier then my old kayak. I have decided to just go with a trailer to keep the boat a lot lower to make it easier to handle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TWS....If you look closely at this photo, you can see the Yakima Mako saddles conform to the shape of the hull of my old Hobie Outback.....at the rear, you can see the Show Boat roller I installed on the roof rack of my Subaru Outback....it eases loading and protects the spoiler containing the "3rd" stop light located atop the back hatch..

My Hobie Outback fit like a dream....and the saddles are secured to the rack and kayak using the Yakima factory straps.

This rack is now 4 years old and my son is using it on the same car....I sold it to him for a princely sum to keep it in the family :wink: