Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I talked with my local Escondido dealer today. He has 3 AI's in stock; already sold one. Perhaps I'll see it on the lake this weekend! 8)

Post subject: new babies
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OHH they have triplets... :D :D :D
Congratulations everybody...!! Maybe I will have to adopt one for myself. :wink:
-Kepnutz-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, I normally stick to the cat boards but I like to look at the yach boards. I can't believe that there hasn't been more talk about the AI arriving. There has been such a build-up over this thing coming out. Is everyone at the lake right now, why is no one talking about it coming out.

Props to Hobie, the AI looks beautiful, if I didn't already have a 14T I would have one home already. I am just curious. How fast is this thing? I mean it doesn't look like it would keep up with any of the cats but how close will it be to them?

Sorry to run down your all's new boat, I am sure it will be a great sailor I just like my cat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just got mine today! Hooray.

I'd stopped at the dealer earlier in the day to buy some parts and check on ETA, and we were talking when they got a call from the truck announcing it would be in later in the afternoon. I came back at 5:00PM and got delivery of my new toy.

The boat looks beautiful. I'll post pictures once I get it in the water.

But the pedals that came with the boat are the standard ones, instead of the turbo fins which the product release indicated would be shipped with the boat. Also there was no speed tube (I don’t know whether this should be standard or optional – or has this been discontinued; it’s no longer in the parts catalog). I emailed the dealer and will hopfully get the turbo fins soon. With 100 lbs of boat to push, I believe the turbo fins will be required.

There are also a few glitches, and hopefully Hobie can rectify them over time.
• The paddle cannot be stored in the usual place alongside the hull, because the crossbars for the akas are in the way.
• The plug-in cart cannot be stored upside down in the holes in the rear cargo area, because the rear crossbar is in the way.

These are design flaws that result from the use of the existing Adventure hull for the Island without having to modify the mold. I would think Hobie is already aware of these issues, and that they’ll rectify them the next time they have to create a new Adventure mold. In fact when Hobie get to that point, they may want to think of making the hull for the Island slightly different from the Adventure (i.e. narrower, as this would improve speed by reducing wetted surface).

Another thing that is a problem for both the Adventure and Island: the rudder control is not in a fore-aft position when the rudder is straight. This leaves a weird feeling. I’m sure you get used to it after a while, but a design that ensures the control is straight when the rudder is straight would feel much more natural.

It was getting dark by the time I finished putting the boat together so I haven’t had a chance to get the boat in the water yet, but I can’t wait. I'll see if I can leave the office early sometimes this week so that I don't have to wait for the week-end!

Xavier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:35 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Here's a work around I use for the paddle problem since SideKick ama also interfere with paddle storage. Actually gets the paddle higher up on the deck so it doesn't drag.

1. Eiminate any paddle off set, so both blades match up .

2. Let the rear of the paddle ride over the top of the yaku on the port side.

3. The front blade will amost be on the fwd deck.

Secure it with the sail bungie versus the paddle bunjie. The former is the one with the hook connector. Needs to be wrapped twice around the paddle to make it tight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Yes...the Adventure Island started shipping last week. Fast Lane in San Diego had pre-sold over a dozen!

Paddle Storage - Aloha Dan has a good solution for the paddle worked out. Yes, we lay the paddle on top of the forward aka (under a bungee) and the aft can be under the rear aka. Therefore you can use the existing paddle bungee. Some of our guys prefer to take the paddle apart and store in the the cargo area behind the seat. The paddle can not be stored in the standard kayak position when undersail. The hull speed (and heel) causes the blade up front to pull away from the hull.

Pitot Tube Speedo - No longer standard on any of the kayaks. This item is shown in the catalog on page 16 (Part # 80030001)

Cart storage - Yes the crossbar blocks the scuppers on top, so you cannot invert the cart and plug in for storage while sailing the Island configuration. The new cart disassembles easily though and should be stored inside the hull.

ST Turbo fins - Not standard. The decision to provide standard fins was due to some concerns about users not properly caring for the ST Turbo fins. The standard fins are more durable. ST Turbo fins are primarily for higher end speeds. The standard fins have better low end performance and will be easier for most users.

We will not be changing the scupper location or the existing paddle storage system on the hull since the boat is primarily a standard Adventure kayak and can still be converted back and forth by those that would like to. We are also designing a live bait well to fit the cargo area and scupper location (same on Adventure, Revolution and Outback now). Who knows, we may have specific tri-mirage designs in the future that would allow for a narrower main hull, but the interchangeable design (Adventure kayak / Adventure Island tri and back again) is one of the greatest features of the boat. You can use in either configuration.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's really too bad we're not even given the option of the turbo fins. With the added weight of the Island, I fear they'll be a must. How much does the upgrade cost?

For the rest, I certainly can live without; I'd already figured storage for the paddle and cart, and the Pitot speedo is mostly a fun toy, not a must have.

Couldn't get out of the office early enough, so "sea trial" is postponed. All my sailing and kayaking friends are jealous 8)

Post subject: Hey Mr X
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can have my speed-o stick if you want it. I use a wristwatch waterproof GPS from Garmin. Its a great little unit.. Foretrex 101. You can pick em up at REI and other outdoor retailers for a reasonable price. They can tell you your average speed, max speed,current speed, current position, plus track your route and store it. Its the Bomb-Diggity 8)

-Kepnutz-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agreed. That's why my inquiry about the stick was just that, an inquiry (my son would have had fun watching the water go up in the tube), but I don't care much.

I'm more upset about the turbo fins. I don't know the cost of these things, but that's what I believe I was getting when I placed the order, and what I still believe I'll need (I'll have to wait until I get the boat on the water to confirm) to get any decent speed. I sure would have liked to get the option of the standard vs. turbo. The various reviews I read back in August were all done with the turbo, and everyone seemed to agree that this was a good thing.

On the subject of the GPS, how readable is this thing? My 50+ years old eyes are not what they used to be, and I have a hard time with devices that use small fonts.

Post subject: Re: Hey Mr X
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kepnutz wrote:
Its the Bomb-Diggity 8)

Yeah... It was that till the first time it hit the water at 20+ mph. I know of 6 that died from water ingestion. Not a problem kayaking maybe...

"Waterproof"? No such thing.

Brian C

Post subject: Hey dog Hey Mr X
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Y'all
The font on this unit is large enough and easy to read at arms length. You could always go see one at your local retailer in person to be sure. Dog you are correct..it is probably water resistant even though its stated waterproof to one meter by the mfgr. I have had no problems with mine yet on the bicycle or the kayak or the Hobie 16 .knock on wood. As for accurate, I have tested it on the same Bike Ride routes I have been riding for 35 years and the thing is pretty much spot on.

I too had the understanding that the A.I. came with turbo fins already installed. Something must have changed. IMHO I think you would want turbo fins to move a hundred pound plus yak (not including gear and pilot weight) with the single mirage drive . Here's what Matt Miller posted a
few months back... TURBOS would be "STANDARD EQUIPMENT"

Quote:
The ST Turbo is shown as standard equipment. Not due to weight of the boat, but the speed. The standard fins would be ineffective as the boat accelerates. Matter of fact... the ST Turbos become ineffective due to speed under sail too. They help you get moving, then the sail power takes over. The fins go into neutral.

Anway I have a Tandem with two mirage drives that have Turbo fins installed and two pair of standard fins as a backup, so I got it covered either way, but my understanding was the A.I. came with turbos.. :?: :!:
-kepnutz-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

According to Matt Miller...

"That is a marketing error. Fixed now. Of course we should provide the ST Turbo Fins to buyers who purchased the boat with the expectation that they were getting ST Turbos because of the website text. We cannot stand behind "Specifications subject to change". Just let your dealer know.

Why not standard? For the very reason of this thread, I was adamant that the boat should have the most reliable fins as standard. You can blame me. Absolute novice users will purchase these boats. I felt strongly that the ST Turbos were not really the right choice of standard equipment. We made that change fairly late in the process and the text in the website was an oversight.

Really sorry, but we will make it right!"

Matt Miller
Hobie Cat USA

Here's the full thread: http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 6641089472

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I am in no way thinking of buying a AI but wow, Hobie has some incredible service.

After just one day of complaints they are already willing to switch the fins out. That is amazing, it is service that makes companys successful. I only hope that when I need help with my cat they are as great.

Way to go HOBIE, I am sure you are gaining some customers by doing this.

Post subject: Thanks Roadie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Roadrunner

Thanks for the link in your post. I did not see the K.F.S. post on this turbo fin topic. Sorry for dragging all that up again over here too, I did not realize I was still shooting at a dead horse. :oops:

It appears Matt and Hobie have it covered already for those who expected turbos. If it comes standard without the turbos then no worries :wink:
I did not have any troubles with either fin, they both moved my yak through the water 8)
-Kepnutz-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks all for the good news. I don't check KFS as frequently as I do this board, so I hadn't seen the post. I've emailed my dealer now.

Thanks again for a quick and most satisfactory answer! :)

Once again, Hobie does the right thing.

Xavier