Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK... I'm getting jealous... Our order of Islands was supposed to have shipped out on Saturday. But we've not gotten a call from a Landstar driver yet. :cry:

I want my toys!

Brian C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HHHHeyyyy Dog..
I think the Island is just a mirage still. :cry: I just called the local yak shack, they said they have ten on order but they still done dont aint got none neither.. and we are less than a days drive away from home base :cry:
......................................- Kepnutz-

..................the "tired of waiting and nodded off wave"................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TWEEEEEEET.... 5 yard penalty for bad punning. ;-)

I called Hobie today... Turns out our order hadn't shipped. They're having a parts problem... Not enough of them! Boy howdy do I know how that works recently.

Probably a 3-week slip. Oh well. Cool toys always take longer than you wanted to get. We've gotten everything else. And yes, the Revolution is definitely going to be a hot seller to. We've got a bet going on what yak (Island excluded) will be the hot seller for '07.

Brian C

Post subject: Bad call
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dawg.. I watched the instant replay of that last snap. :roll: I think that was intentional punning on my part, which is a 15 yard penalty and loss of down :(. One more and I get fined and ejected.. :lol:
.....-Kepnutz-......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got my Island last week-end (5:00PM on Sunday) so this week-end was the first opportunity to get on the warter!

Unfortunately, the wind didn't show up so it was a very leisurely day on the water. Here is a picture of my son beaching the boat on the Columbia.

The boat behaves beautifully. It is rock stable as can be expected with the large amas. The boat is very easy to set up prior to launching, and there's lots of room to store "stuff" (but you need to make sure your bags are not too small or they'll move around and get lodge in places where it may be difficult to retrieve them.

The large rudder is amazingly efficient and I was surprised at how easily the boat turned despite the three hulls! One thing I noticed was that at certain speeds, the rudder vibrates, and this gets transmitted to the cables that run inside the hull to the controls. The vibration of the cables against the plastic is annoying, and I'll have to place some small pieces of foam to prevent the noise.

The furling main is great. It's very easy to furl and unfurl as you launch or get back to shore, or when the wind dies. And if you forget to unhook the line that keeps the sail rolled, you can simply stand up in the yak and unhook it! I'll try to rig a line going between the two amas right behind the seat so that I can move the sheeting angle out when going downwind.

The boat moves very easily in the water probably due to the narrow hull (compared to my son's Mirage). Yet the "throw" of the pedal is still the same (i.e. quite short for my 6'2" frame), and I'll be glad to get the turbo fins, so that I don't feel that I have to pump at such a high rate.

The one thing that feels like a backward step from the older boar is the new seat. The support is lower than in the old seats, and I had a back ache at the end of the day. I just got a new seat for my son's Mirage after I busted the stitching on his old one. I think I'll try and get the old one repaired if only to confirm my impression that the old design was better. Has anyone else had the same experience?

I had been concerned that the rudder control would be awkward as it isn't in a fore-aft poition when the boat goes straight, but I didn't have any problem adjusting to it. I love the many storage compartments too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well... We finally got some our Islands today (only 1/2 of the order). They came in with a load of cats.

The sad part is that we're so tired from unloading the trailer and getting everything into the warehouse that we haven't even unwrapped one yet.

Maybe tomorrow.

Brian C

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:39 am 
Hobie Team Member

Roadrunner wrote:
I talked with my local Escondido dealer today. He has 3 AI's in stock; already sold one. Perhaps I'll see it on the lake this weekend! 8)

Who's the Escondido dealer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pulled this from the dealer finder:

NOMAD VENTURES
405 GRAND AVE.
ESCONDIDO, CA 92025
Phone: 1-760-747-8223
E-mail: [email protected]

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That photo of your son beaching an AI brought up a question. Is it okay to run the boats onto the sand with those drive paddles on it? Whats the procedure for that? Do you pull the drive out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:01 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
one foot forward and the pedals are flush against the bottom of the hull, beaching is not a problem.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

canibul wrote:
Is it okay to run the boats onto the sand with those drive paddles on it? Whats the procedure for that? Do you pull the drive out?

I know beaching with the drive installed is done and occasionally do it myself, but whenever practical I pull the drive. I don't like getting sand in the mechanism, even though it should flush out. My biggest concern would be the sprocket shaft where it could get trapped and grind away at the bearing surfaces.

This may be over protective, but I've got a couple of 6 year old drives that are still in excellent condition. They also get flushed and lubed (almost) every time out. IMO, if you expect reliability over the long term, good care pays off.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the info. Good to know you can flatten the paddles/flippers whatever against the hull. There is some REAL skinny water here over the reefs, and some sharpy limestone in other places. Of course, we can always find a beach.

As for lube products, have you guys used SailCoat yet? Got it last year for some boat stuff, and now use it on everything. Its really great stuff. Not cheap, but its like a spray on coat of teflon. It lubes, and it lasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't worry much about the drive when we go "sailyacking" on the river where beaches are sandy. But we sure pull the drive out when sailing up north in the Puget Sound with oysters and barnacles!

I chose toget both the Getaway and the AI in great part because of the poly hulls. FG hulls would get shredded at my place in Washington (the name is Rocky Point for a good reason!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, for the same wind conditions, same water, same day, same sailor,what would you say the speed difference is between the AI and the Getaway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't had enough opportunity to try both in identical conditions.

Moreover, I'm a pleasure sailor not a racer so while I like to trim my sails to move as best I can, I don't really pay attention to actual speed. I'm as happy doing a lazy 1.5 knot while lying on the tramp and steering with my feet and looking at the clouds, than getting blasted by spray off the bow when the wind and waves kick up. I guess I wouldn't win any race if I ever tried.

Matt and the Hobie folks should be able o give you some good numbers on what you can expect from each boat.