Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the route and some pictures from a wee overnight adventure in the Sound of Jura. (West Coast of Scotland, Near Islay and Jura, and Whisky!!!) It's not often you can get a kayak in these waters in these conditions! 7 knot tides and wind usually conspire to keep it out of reach. If anything goes wrong here it's a long walk back and abandon the boat!

The water was flat and not running much near the shore the entire time. Apart from the last half hour which was a mega pedal against wind and tide back into Loch Crinan. I can't imagine hand paddling this section. It would have hurt even in a proper sea kayak.

The outbound leg took about 5 hours, then I stayed overnight at the bay and came back the next morning in under 2 hours. Which I thought pretty good since the windy bit felt like an hour!

I saw a Seal. Porpoises, Herons, An Otter! and a White tailed sea eagle! The mirage stealth aspect certainly meant the seal and porpoises were not disturbed as easily. The Otter was checking me out and I was on land at the time so Hobie had no hand in that sighting I'm afraid.

Check out this map on MapMyRide: 9.87 mi Crinan trip
Distance: 9.87 mi
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/380099637