Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New seat 2014
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello,

I heard about all hobie kayak (outback, revo,...) will come with a new seat nearly the same system found on Pro angler's.

Any news?

Post subject: Re: New seat 2014
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No news that i know of, but an Outback might look like this.

Cockpit view.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Haven't heard anything solid about the new seat. Rumor is that there will be a new seat at some point in the future. However, look at it this way. With all the competitors installing upgraded seats, Hobie doesn't have much of a choice other than trying to find a solution.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One thing I've noticed, all these boats with these new framed, higher seats, flip over a lot easier.

I guess Hobie will have to follow market trends, but after trying a couple boats with these new type seats, I'll stick with the older models.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd much rather have a seat like the WS Phase 3 Air Pro seat, than an overly elevated stadium seat, at least for the Revo line...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MadCowMuu wrote:
No news that i know of, but an Outback might look like this.

Cockpit view.

This is an Jackson Elite kit, is'nt it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

staktup wrote:
I'd much rather have a seat like the WS Phase 3 Air Pro seat, than an overly elevated stadium seat, at least for the Revo line...

Did you try it? Does-it fit in an Outback?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found this custom seat:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/913113/upgraded-hobie-outback-seat-diy

Look nice for low price... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Andy Zimmerman developed the Phase 3 kayak seat while he was the head man at Wilderness Systems some years ago. It probably offers the best of all worlds in terms of adjustability, weight, comfort, etc., while still remaining a frameless kayak seat. This sort of seat would work in the current Hobie kayak models with little to no change in the molds. I think it would make more sense than the framed type seats, but market trends are what they are.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Andy Zimmerman developed the Phase 3 kayak seat while he was the head man at Wilderness Systems some years ago. It probably offers the best of all worlds in terms of adjustability, weight, comfort, etc., while still remaining a frameless kayak seat. This sort of seat would work in the current Hobie kayak models with little to no change in the molds. I think it would make more sense than the framed type seats, but market trends are what they are.

Thank you for explains.

Where can we buy it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spend a lot of hours in my Tandem Island every weekend and have back problems, I think the uncomfortable seats in the TI makes matter worse for me ( the TI has the same seats as all the rest of the mirage line (except the PA line). something about the seat that just kills my lower back after a while. I added 1 1/4 inch foam padding under the seat, and that make a big difference comfort wise under my butt, but there is just something about the seat (comfort wise) that I can't put my finger on, making it extremely uncomfortable to me.
I was in the Hobie dealer the other day looking at all the different seats in all the other brands, plus all the Hobies. Looking at the Odyssey (non-mirage), that seems to have a different type seat in it, that to me might solve my lower back support problem (probably wouldn't fit though). My thought is if I can sit in a bucket type seat where my lower back and sides are better supported, it might help with lower back support especially when it is choppy and wavy out, all that motion just kills my back, and anymore I really don't like going out anymore when there are any waves and chop.
I have no desire to sit any higher in the boat than presently so a framed seat like on the PA would be out of the question.
It was obvious to me that the competition from other kayak makers appears to be strong in the seating area, some that I saw at least at the dealer (other brands boats) looked to have nicer seats than any of the Hobie Mirage boats ( I think their present seat design has been around a long time). Now I'm not knocking the Hobie Mirage seats quality wise, as they are well made, and very durable, but unfortunately uncomfortable to me when sitting in for long periods of time. I hope they are working on something fresh and current, and way more comfortable (that phase 3 seat looks awesome).
My 2 cents
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am in the same boat with lower back pains (AI). I do have and have fitted the PA type seat on my AI, however I do not like sitting up that high when sailing. For fishing with atleast one AMA out- it works great.

I found that sitting on a pad (1.5" to 2") combined with a good Back support works best. I recently purchased a fairly cheap boat seat, took it apart (top from bottom) and placed the back down between the AKA bar and the rear seat well. Works pretty well. I also made a roll bar out of PVC and included a back support.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's highly unlikely that any seat will be perfect for every user. The same Hobie seat that others find uncomfortable, fits me perfectly. I could sit in my AI or TI for hours and hours and never have the least bit of discomfort.

So ultimately what you'd want in a good kayak seat is something that offers a wide range of adjustability, without adding much in the way of additional weight or complexity. Which again leads right back to the original Wilderness Systems Phase 3 seating (I think they still offer a similar seat with a few more bells and whistles these days), which offers adjustable tilt, backrest height, and thigh support length/height. If any company can improve upon that original seat with just as few parts and pieces, and no more weight, I'd sure like to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vabeach2:
I think in my situation I always start out with the standard Hobie seat pulled tight and upright, everything is comfortable at first, then as I peddle the straps tend to slip, then within an hour you get further and further reclined till you notice (with discomfort), then pull the straps tight again, I have tried double knots in the straps, twisting the straps, and pretty much everything else I can think of to keep the seat from settling, without much success. I think that's a good idea to add additional back support via some type of PVC tubing or something, while at the same time supporting a little higher on my back.
I broke my back yrs ago right in the middle (above the top of the seat back on the hobie seat), and that's where the pain always comes when I'm out in rough water or out for long periods so adding support a little higher with something more permanent that doesn't slip over time might just be the answer I'm looking for. I already have the thick foam pad under my bum, and that made a huge difference comfort wise when sitting in the kayak for long periods of time (no more numb butt). Currently whenever I go out I must wear my back brace whenever going out, which is very uncomfortable. I just hope my mirage drive never fails on the water , in as the twisting motion from conventional kayak paddling absolutely kills my back after 5-10 minutes of paddling with a twin blade kayak paddle.

I suspect the requirements for a paddling type seat ( like on the Wilderness and most other brands kayaks) might be a little different from a pedaling type seat (like on Hobies with Mirage drives) since you are using totally different muscle groups (just an observation on my part). As an example personally I'm thinking pedaling in a very high frame seat (like on a PA) might be less comfortable to me pedaling for long periods of time (though I have never tried), where on the standard Hobie kayak seats like on the rest of the mirage kayaks your bumm is below the center line of the pedals giving you better leverage and comfort for pedaling long distances vs pedaling from a high frame seat where your bumm is above the pedals (just a theory on my part).
It would be interesting to hear other theories, especially from guys like the watertribe guys, who pedal great distances.
Tom would know, he has spent many hours on both PA's and just about everything else under the sun, it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the subject.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom:
I suspect your right, my discomfort is more from my back injury which is above the highest point on the seat, and requires me to wear a back brace, I can't blame the seat for that. I think if I didn't have that back injury I could say the same about the standard hobie seats, once you increase the padding under your bum, they are pretty hard to beat as an all around 'peddle' kayak type seat, (which I suspect have different requirements over a paddle type seat). Since I don't paddle, I honestly don't know (that's why I got into Hobies in the first place, I loath paddling)
Bob