Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shortening paddles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the standard hobie two piece paddle; however, being a Lilliputian it is far too long so I would like to shorten it. Ideally I would like to shorten the ferule end by removing the existing ferule, shortening the handle and then re-glueing the ferule. How do I remove the existing ferule?

Post subject: Re: Shortening paddles
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need to go about it another way - trim from the paddle blade ends and then reinsert/adhere the blades.

The paddle ends can be spiral cut with a hacksaw (try not to cut into the paddle blade inserts if at all possible) and opening popped open and the blades removed. Then remove the desired amount, equal amount from both ends, and re-adhere the paddle blade ends into the cut shaft ends with a good 2-part epoxy.

The chance of damaging the ferrule and/or shaft is far too great to risk any attempt at removing the center ferrule.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Job done while waiting for my post to be approved. Quite easy actually, just used a heat gun to warm the ferule area, pulled the ferule out, cut a few inches off and reglued the ferule. I don't know what glueing medium Hobie use for holding the ferule in place, but once warmed up the ferule slides out quite easily.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Why not just shorten the tube and drill a new hole for the locking pin?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want both halves to be the same length, you have to remove equal portions from each side. If not, then you certainly can go about it differently.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would buy another paddle instead to ruinning the hobie paddle. Just my 2 cent worth. Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's really not at all hard to do. Just make sure beforehand at the length you really want.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It took about 1 trip with our 2009 Oasis to realize we didn't need the long paddles.

So we bought the Hobie T Handle conversions, one for each oar.

It was a great investment and easy to get ready for the next trip. We have never used the long paddles on a Hobie Mirage since then. I use a long Hobie paddle with my Freedom Hawk 12.

The shortened paddles with the T Handle are great for docking/landing or getting off in the water. They are very easy to stow and get if you need them.

http://www.campmor.com/hobie-paddle-t-h ... fgodApsAcg

toglhot wrote:
I have the standard hobie two piece paddle; however, being a Lilliputian it is far too long so I would like to shorten it. Ideally I would like to shorten the ferule end by removing the existing ferule, shortening the handle and then re-glueing the ferule. How do I remove the existing ferule?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Don't understand why you would cut the paddles when the ferule is so easily removed by simply warming the area with a heat gun and then grabbing the ferule and pulling it out. Don't think the skin on your hand is tough enough to damage the glass.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Still and all... seems like it would be simpler, and easier, to just cut the tube and drill a hole rather than risk a failed re-gluing job... you're cutting the tube anyway... equal shaft lengths shouldn't make any difference... why make it more difficult?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes that was my first thought; however, the paddle half that has the ferule is already 150 - 200mm longer than the half without, if I was to cut 100 - 150mm off the paddle half without the ferule it would mean I'd have one half about 300mm shorter than the other. Too untidy for me, besides with the them both the same length they now fit in my storage box.