All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i own 2 outbacks.
3 Questions concerning the drives.

Referring to the faq under the heading:
Mirage Drive Train Adjustment, at:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1946

Are you saying that to adjust chain tension i ONLY need tighten or loosen the idler cable?
good to know, BUT when i installed my new Turbo fins, they caused my drive to jump spockets first time out. since i was on the water away from my computer i did not research the above until later. so, i loosened the chain and reattached it, and it worked fine. however, now i am thinking that perhaps the tensioning may not be correct.
so, finally my question is: if i start over and loosen everything how do i go about getting all 3 tensions correctly tightened? btw, i use a vice grip to hold the cable while i work the nut. i assume this is the only way to do this, right?
question 2. on our second outback the woman likes her drive rather easy to pedal. is she not then a candidate for the turbos fins?
question#3 serial #'s COMA 3541G304 and COMA3710G304
is it true that these numbers do not need the strengthening fix?
thanks,
ps. i LOVE my turbo fins!!!

Post subject: Chain adjustment
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:51 am 
Site Admin

The instructions do tell you to adjust the chains... and the idler cable. I assume you have the stainless sprockets? We have not seen skipping issues on the plastic sprockets. Yes, holding the cable with pliers is the way to make adjustments in tension using the nuts. The latest design of our drum will address the adjustment issues by capturing the cable differently. This will make adjustments easier.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

nirvan wrote:
i own 2 outbacks.
3 Questions concerning the drives.

if i start over and loosen everything how do i go about getting all 3 tensions correctly tightened?

However you go about doing this, here are the results I look for: about 1/8 " flex at midpoint (per side) on the front chain (at about 10 psi squeeze). 1/8 to 3/16 chain flex at the rear sproket chain. About 1/8 flex at the idler cable. Tightening/loostening the idler affects the chain tension, as you probably have already noted. I use the Turbos and have had no problem with these settings with the old or new drives.

When you're finished, there shouldn't be excessive drag or friction on the unit (when lubed) but nothing should be sloppy loose. Hobie tightens new units considerably more than this, but your units have already stretched out and there is no need to overtighten.

Quote:
question 2. on our second outback the woman likes her drive rather easy to pedal. is she not then a candidate for the turbos fins?

Have your partner try out your Turbos and see what she thinks, compared with the standard fins. I saw a post on the KFS site the other day -- seems Hobie is working on a Turbo style fin in a standard size. This might be ideal for your partner. Don't think these are available just yet. Here's the text:

Posted September 18, 2006 02:44 PM
No new Turbo Fins, but we are working on a standard length fin with the shape and structure of the ST Turbo fins.

The newest fin is called an ST. This has always been in the plan. We were trying to introduce these as a standard fin, but have been concerned that they are not as durable as the current standard fins. The old adage "if it aint broke, don't fix it" has prevailed. The ST fin will have better performance than the original fins, but not top performance (and resistance) of the ST Turbo.

Matt Miller

Quote:
question#3 serial #'s COMA 3541G304 and COMA3710G304
is it true that these numbers do not need the strengthening fix?

Looks like you have '04 models built in July of '03. If I remember correctly, the fix is appplicable to the '05 and '06 model Outbacks only.... 8)

Post subject: Thanks, Roadrunner...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Roadrunner...
i'll play with the tightening to your suggestions, but now i'm wondering about the tightness of the idler?
i'm going to buy turbos for my partner today. she tried mine and although they were harder to pedal, she liked that she had to pedal less strokes. we went at the same speed side by side and she counted 100 strokes and i only pedaled 60 to her 100!
i like the kick-ass speed i get with the turbos, and with less strokes it seems our 5 hour trips are a bit easier, too.