Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm preparing to install the Hobie furler kit for the sail on my Oasis and I was wondering if it was possible to do an installation that would also allow me to furl the sail from the front seat where I usually sit when I'm out by myself. Does anyone have any suggestions about furling the sail from the front seat? I've never sailed before and really don't know if this makes any sense. I'm still going to do the standard furler kit installation for the rear seat but I'd also like to have the option of operating the sail from the front seat. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Dan, when sailing, you really need to keep an eye on the sail at all times, as you're continually adjusting it. That makes front seat operation impractical. Additionally, since your Mirage Drive acts as a daggerboard, it needs to be located near the center of lateral resistance (i.e. in the rear cockpit under the sail) or the boat would be weathervaning into the wind (uncontrollable weather helm). I recommend using the rear cockpit with ballast in the front (the further forward the less ballast you need) to keep the bow down. For other activities I also prefer the front seat.

On your furler installation, just make sure to bring the furling line out to the side st such an angle that it doesn't interfere with your pedals. Before drilling, lay it out in place to make sure all the parameters look good. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm with RR on this one. I sail solo a lot. I always sail from the rear seat and place two half-filled sandbags in the bow storage.
On my last outing, I used a bungee to allow the forward mirage drive to stay down and act as another daggerboard. Sure seemed to calm the squirreliness up front. If you do this, remember to release the drive (or take it out) before beaching.