Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some of you may have seen my recent posts about the new waterproof cameras that are now available. The one that I finally got is the Pentax Optio W10 (now the W20 with image stabilization added.) I especially liked this camera not only because of its waterproof features (submergence for 30 minutes to a depth of 5 feet), but also because of its great macro capability (it can focus down to 1 cm). I started thinking about how I might mount this camera on my yak, and came up with three possibilities. I need to mention that I have not had a chance to field test these options as yet, since I have to go in for some surgery first thing tomorrow morning. But, I figured some of you might have a chance to check one or more of these ideas out while I am out of commission, and report back.

Method # 1
First off, here are the parts including the RAM Universal Standard Mount B-101. This is an excellent rig also for setting up a fish-finder on your gunwale or deck. The first thing I did was to enlarge the RAM standard mounting holes using a 7/32 drill bit.

I then got out the ole tap and die set and threaded this hole with a 1/4-20 inch tap to take a 1/4-20 SS machine bolt to match the standard camera tripod mount.

Here is the RAM Universal Mount with the first mounting option, in this case in the gunwale tackle tray.

If I had not already installed the larger RAM mount on the gunwale itself (at right in this pic) for my outriggers and rodholders, this would have been the preferred location for the camera mount, since water will collect in the gunnel tray and could leak into the hull. Note also the non-slip rubberized drawer liner material that I attached to the flat plate, using some Goop. The idea here is to cut down on possible slippage between the camera and RAM mounting plate.

P.S.: I should have mentioned that another possibility for mounting the flat base would be on the cockpit bulkhead just inside the gunnel tray. I would probably put it where the Ronstan cam cleat (or C-cleat) is now, and re-position this cleat further aft.

Here is a shot of the RAM Universal Standard Mount B-101 with the Pentax installed.

Here is a closer view of the underside of the upper plate of the RAM mount. One of these 1/4-20 SS bolts goes into the camera tripod mount while the other two bolts act as a sort of “cradleâ€

Last edited by Apalach on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As usual, you set the highest standards for thoughtful and well photo-documented posts. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:32 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
To anyone looking for a camera, I also just bought this same camera and love it, added a 1gb card and its all the camera I will ever need.

Apalach check and see if your dealer has a "sign" yak to practice mounting things to. We always keep a few around to cut on!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers