Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Pro Angler and need a trailer for it.
A regular boat trailer does not seem right only because they are designed for much heavier loads.

I have a small trailer with 8" wheels that maxes out at 350lbs that I want to modify.
It too is not very gentle and sits low. I also have to extend the toungue a good 8 feet.

1) Does it matter what I use?
2) Is adding some kind of spring platform worthwhile?
3) Rocks from the road! How high should I keep my kayak from the road?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Hobie Trailex trailer...200# capacity and with 3" PVC parallel pipes, my PA-14 is about 24" off the road surface.
Another option is to find a good, used PWC (jet ski) trailer.....the one for a single and not double wide trailer...unless you plan to carry more than one PA/kayaks.
These can be found used for less than $500.
Then, some guys have purchased Harbor Freight trailers and modified them to carry their kayak(s).

If you search the forum for trailers, you will find tons of info.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

good advice... waverunner trailers are all over and and work fine - I can get my PA centerline and two more Hobies on J racks on the side. Paid $200 for this one.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

<http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=121567>

If you have time to surf this site above you will find endles info and pictures of kayak trailers. More info then you will need to make a decision based on what you want to do with your yak...

Enjoy and let me know what you think about the site.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,

In response to your topic questions:
1) It will matter which trailer you use, depending on your traveling distance and highway speed.
2) I'm not totally clear as to what is meant by "spring platform," but standard leaf springs and/or shocks have worked fine for me.
3) I have never been concerned with rocks from the road.

I have a small wheeled Seahawk boat trailer with leaf springs (for my Bass Tender pond boat), which I pull to the local millponds in my area. I never exceed 55 mph and would never consider pulling this trailer on an interstate regardless of the load.

I am primarily a kayak/canoe/camper/fisherman. That being said, I pull my watercraft considerable distances in pursuit of my passion. Spring and fall to the upper Adirondacks (500 miles one way) and late summer to Isle Royale (1,200 miles one way to catch the transport boat to the island). For these long distances I use my Yakima Rack and Roll trailer (shocks only). For one PA trip to the Adirondacks, I used Mako Saddles and Hully Rollers with a mini-roller between the Hully Rollers. The only issue was that I had to tie the bow of the PA to the trailer tongue because the kayak wanted to see-saw (there is only 46" between the bars). My Outback is transported on its gunwales. During the majority of this traveling, I am exceeding 70 mph.

The recommended hitch clearance is 22" for the Rack and Roll, which should lessen concern with road rocks as the trailer sets high. The only issue I have had with the Rack and Roll was the sealed bearings seized after 4 years. I discovered the seizure during the routine pre-trip inspection. I'm not sure why the bearings seized, but suspect the considerable rain that usually travels with me as the culprit. The sealed bearings are $80 per wheel.

I'm very pleased with my Rack and Roll for distance and speed, but I have no experience with any other trailers.