Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm contemplating purchase of either Outfitter or Oasis tandem. I would also like to peddle/fish solo on occassion. I weigh 230#/6 ft. Hobie suggests max weight 200# forOutfitter, 220# for Oasis when peddled solo
I've heard solo peddlers balance off by adding some weight foward, how well does this work?
The Oasis seems a bit faster and less stable . How significant might this be , ( novice paddlers)?
Also contemplating just drilling and screwing on some Thule crossbars(which I have) to the Honda Odyssey van factory roof rack rather than springing $160 for thule 450 clamps, and just strapping/locking boat down on these. I'd be going long distance so looking for security too.

Any suggestions/advise greatly appreciated. Thanks
Eddie07

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

eddie
I am a similar weight but only 5'6" and short in the leg. I have recently purchased an Outfitter and use it solo most of the time. After some experimentation I have found that a large screw top container carrying some 55lb of water placed as far forward as possible in the bow will balance the kayak quite well. A little more may be better. The Outfitter is very stable but I do wonder about it in a chop where, particularly if unbalanced, the very flat bow might get pushed up sufficiently to get the wind/waves under it. It is also very wet for anyone sitting forward in these conditions, tending to slap the water when the bow comes down. Lastly, with my weight, the rudder controls are often submerged and it takes in a little water.
It does peddle quite well and I also find that I can paddle it ok although I would find it difficult to achieve the sort of speed and distances, when solo, often talked about on this forum. Maybe though, this is because the "engine" is knackered. Certainly the distance is improving with practice.
In short, I love the boat, particularly two up, but hanker after an Adventure, or perhaps a Revolution, for going longer distances solo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your reply Malcolm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Eddie and welcome to the forum.

Both tandem models are very stable, so you need have no concern over that. We have an older tandem (now called the Oasis). I think it might be a little faster, has a little more deck space (nice if you want to stow something) and more weight capacity.

When going solo, I use a couple of 4" diameter drain pipe segments filled with metal scrap and concrete. One weighs 20# and the other is about 30#. They each have handles for easy carrying. They sit in the bow area and are quite stable because of their low center of gravity (the further forward you can put the weights, the less you need). Works well. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadrunner, Sounds like a good idea . Any photo of these? How do you secure them ?

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Edie,

Go out and buy an inexpensive bicycle lock. I got one for $10 at Wallmart that fits easily through scupper hole and around my factory rack (Honda Pilot). Works like a charm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

eddie07 wrote:
Any photo of these? How do you secure them ?
Eddie

Here are a couple of different sizes, 4 " diameter and 3".

Inside are used lead wheel weights (best), old hardware, re-bar etc., with the air spaces filled with mortar mix. The handles are made with a short section of sched. 80 (sprinkler riser) PVC. The handle rope is also part of the pour and knotted inside so it won't slip.

These will fit inside the forward hatch and sit in the bow area. Be sure they are not too long to fit! Instead of using the 4" ABS cap shown, the insert (below) is narrower and fits through the hatch easier. I recommend these on both ends (learned the hard way). It also allows your weight to store on end at home.

If you prefer, you could design a set for the front cockpit, but would need more weight! 8)

Forgot to mention: The Oasis has the forward hatch I mentioned, but not the Outfitter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadrunner and Eeaton, very helpfull!
Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Eddie,

I recently purchased a 2003 model Mirage Tandem (now the Oasis) and love the boat. I had it out three times so far. Twice with the wife and once solo. I wish my wife liked it as much as me. She enjoys it but not like me, I could take it out several times a week and love it every time.

Anyhow, the one time I took it out solo I put 55 pounds on the front seat. I'm 200 pounds and this worked well. Next time I plan to get the weight further forward, probably around the forward drive well, and I hope to be able to use less. The boat peddaled quite well solo. Unfortunately, my gps batteries died right away that trip so I don't have any performance info to give you to compare tandem vs solo powered.

Good luck with your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bit the bullet today and got a tandem Outfitter after testing both.The Oasis(Tandem)is faster but a bit more tender in initial stability, It probably would have been the better choice in the long run but i liked the stability of the Outfiter, better fishing equipped and that you can fit a sail. I tried it solo with a spare tire across the bow and it wasn't bad. In any event i'm sure we will have fun. Thanks to all who answered , I appreciate it. All i have to do now is find out where those Atlantic WahiWahi hang out

Eddie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

At 140 pounds I'd assume that I could get away with less weight in the bow when going solo. Any suggestions?

Thanks!