Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone. This is my first post, but i have been reading the site for months. My wife and I are going to be buying 2 kayaks in the next month or so. I am still undecided on new vs used and which model/models. Would really like to see any seat changes for this year. I have been tracking craigslist for a couple months and have a spreadsheet with about 400 listings, so I have an idea of what each model is selling for by model year. So if anyone needs an idea of what they are listing for, just let me know

Right now I am thinking either two Revo 13 or one 13 and one 11. The idea of the AI really intrigues me as well. It is myself, my wife and our 2 year old son. I am planning a storage solution and rack for my suv, so I was wondering if you guys could give me some measurements.

I am looking for measurements from front of yak to front of gunwales, how long gunwales are and from back of gunwales to end of yak for Revo 13, Revo 11 and adventure. all most current models I am trying to measure for cross bar supports to store upside down.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First thing I would say is that i would not take a 2 year old out in a yak, unless the child is water safe and can swim independent from the parents. That is a safety issue for the sake of the child and the piece of mind for the parents. Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinwater skinner wrote:
First thing I would say is that i would not take a 2 year old out in a yak, unless the child is water safe and can swim independent from the parents. That is a safety issue for the sake of the child and the piece of mind for the parents. Good Luck

Yeah, we aren't planning on taking him anytime soon although he swims like a fish (gotta be able to swim young in Florida). It was more for use down the road with him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:03 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Conan, welcome to the forum. The cockpit rails are all about the same length, span over 5 feet and the midpoint is close to the handles. You can scale up the pictures on the Hobie web site to get very close approximations. The further you can space the racks, the more stable the load. With these things in mind, I suggest your vehicle will be the defining factor in rack spacing, not the boats. You can find a happy medium between centering on the roof and centering over the vehicle to minimize overhang. If you need more exact info, a visit to your local dealer with a tape measure should do the trick.

For garage hanging, I have used the same support system for various boats. You can use wide straps or make crossbars if building your own system. If necessary you've got the cargo rails available also. You will need at least about 4 feet clearance for the Adventure foredeck (your most critical measurement). With this info, one system should be able to handle any of the boats including tandems (except possibly the TI). 8)