Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 3 Outbacks and I suspect that they need some hull cleaning. How do I wax the hull or is just a good soap and water, then protect with the 303 Aerospace Protectorate? I did a sewarch and did not find any info. I also looked in the Owners Manual and there was no mention of maintenance for the hull, just the mirage Drives...

Thanks...

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like my mother always told me... "Nothing works better than a little soap and water" :mrgreen: Then slap a little 303 on it to make it look pretty.

If it has been a while since you have given them a deep clean, you might consider using a pressure washer or take them to the car wash.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Someone on this forum had mentioned the possibility of using a polishing process (similar to polishing a car) in order to take out some of the scratches that we eventually accumulate on the hull/keel. The thread said not to use an abrasive pad or cleaning agent, but just to use something like boat wax. I do not recall the thread, sorry, but I am going to try it on my Revo one of these days since it had a run in with some oyster crusted pilings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you use them in salt water like I do hose them down reasonably regularly (mainly to stop salt from encrusting in the hatch seals, hinges, rudder fittings and in the bilges). If you use them in freshwater (which I suspect must be the case in Spokane) then hose them down rarely. The hulls are incredibly robust. Personally I give mine a waterblasting every 2or 3 years to get rid of dirt that lodges in tiny pores in the surface of my boats but apart from that and the aforementioned hosedown... Nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If your kayak is dirty, you'll get more grief when you pass through invasive species inspection stations. I'm not suggesting that you wax and buff your kayak after every trip like it was a Corvette. Just hit it with a hose, and with a stiff brush if necessary, to get off the grime. You'll zip through the inspection stations a bit faster. Plus, who knows, you may help reduce the spread of undesirable shellfish and weeds.